2008 investment (round 1) question 36/41

HI David,

A $20 million portfolio consists of only two equally-weighted and uncorrelated positions in Assets A & B. Asset A ($10 million) has a volatility of 10% and Asset B (also $10 million) has a volatility of 20%. At 99% confidence, what is an approximation of the incremental VaR given an additional investment of $1 million in Asset B?

I'm not sure how you calculuated the marginal var of Asset B. The question says that the positions are uncorrelated (so rho =0? right).

1st approach: ($0.4)/($2.24)*2.326 = 0.416.
2nd approach: ($5.20 = portfolio VaR)/($20 portfolio)*(1.6 = beta) = 0.4161.

Q1: Can you explain how you got the 0.4?
Q2: How did you calculate 5.2 for the port var and beta 1.6?

Thanks in advance,

John

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi John

The question is more difficult than an actual exam question but I am glad you highlighted what is the hard part of it. Specifically, I think the hard part is computing the beta of a position relative to the portfolio. Per Friday's briefcast, beta is covariance (position, portfolio)/variance (portfolio) but the numerator here is non-trivial to figure.

As the question is based on Jorion 7.2 (Portfolio). I just added a second page to the EditGrid/XLS on the member page; the second page/tab contains the illustration using the numbers from this question, if you find a direct examination helpful.

The first approach (row 25) uses the matrix notion (p 171, Jorion Chapter 7) where marginal VaR = Dollar covariance / Portfolio Volatility * 2.33. Dollar covariance (this is my term, I am not sure Jorion gives it a name) = (Sigma)*(x) = Covariance matrix * Position vector. In this case, for asset B, sigma*x = 0*$10+.04*10 = 0.4.

The second approach (row 26), as you note, uses marginal VaR = porfolio VaR/W * beta. IMO, each approach has a hard part as you either need to the dollar covariance (1st) or the beta (2nd). The $5.2 portfolio VaR = 2.33 (99% confidence) * portfolio volatility ($2.2). The portfolio volatility is SQRT[w'*Sigma*w]. But as this is two assets, you can get directly with SQRT[$10^2*10%^2+$10^2*20%^2+ (2)($10)($20)(0)

The beta (see p 171) = (W) * (sigma)(x)/[x'*sigma*x]. However, to me it is more intuitive to see this as Cov(position B, portfolio)/Variance(portolio). We just need the covariance (position B, portfolio). (Which, btw, is the same hard step in Stulz cash flow VaR for small project)

covariance (b returns, P returns) = COV(B, 50%*A+50%*B) = (50%)COV(B,A) + (50%)COV(B,B) = 50%*[COV(A,B)+VAR(B)] = 50%*[0 + 0.04] = 0.02. Now, beta = cov (b, p)/var(p) = 0.02/[(2.24/$20)^2] = 1.6. Re this denominator, note I converted from dollar to returns volatility as this entire covariance expression is in returns (%) terms not dollar terms.

Note here one potential confusion relates to dollars versus returns. And specifically, 0.4 "dollar covariance" = 0.02 returns covariance * $20 portfolio!

Hope that helps!...David