Chapter 2 Random Variables

DenisAmbrosov

What does it mean: 'The inf is only needed when measuring the quantile of distributions that have regions with no probability'?

Screenshot 2021-08-01 at 17.21.59.png

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @DenisAmbrosov Inf refers to "Infimum" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infimum_and_supremum) and is a more robust (but effectively still a) minimum:
In mathematics, the infimum (abbreviated inf; plural infima) of a subset S of a partially ordered set T is the greatest element in T that is less than or equal to all elements of S, if such an element exists. Consequently, the term greatest lower bound (abbreviated as GLB) is also commonly used
The concepts of infimum and supremum are similar to minimum and maximum, but are more useful in analysis because they better characterize special sets which may have no minimum or maximum. For instance, ...
I really don't know where it matters, realistically. This quantile is our value at risk (VaR) definition. For example, if the distribution is a standard normal and we want the 5.0% quantile (i.e., α = 0.050), the quantile is =NORM.S.INV(0.050) = -1.644853627 is an Infinium because that is the greatest lower bound (GLB); e.g., the 5.0% quantile is not the values of -1.640 or -1.630 which are lower. This quantile here is both the minimum and the infimum and we don't typically need an infimum because the quantile is in the set; i.e., our quantile -1.644853627 is in the set of real numbers that support [aka, domain] our distribution.

The classic counter-example is a open-ended uniform distribution. Please note our typical uniform is closed per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_uniform_distribution, so the uniform's support is [0,1] and is closed because it specifically includes the zero (and the one). But if it were (0,1] and did not include the zero (i.e., open on the zero), then this function would not have a minimum; if you said it is X, then we can counter with X/2. Whatever you say is the minimum, we can divide by 2 and get a smaller number (the arrow never reaches the target!). But the infimum of (0,1] is zero, so the infimum is here a "more robust minimum" or a most robust greatest lower bound. Thanks,

Last edited: