Counterparty Risk terms

liewpw05

Hi David,

Could you help enlighten me on the differances between the following terms used in the Canaborro reading on measuring and marking counterparty risk : credit valuation adjustment and market value of credit risk?

Is the net market value of credit risk = V(B)-V(A), the same are credit value adjustment? From the exhibit 9.2 in the Canaborro reading , it seems they are the same.So i gather that exhibit 9.2 is showing how the credit valuation adjustment is computed using information on the PFE profile of the counterparties and the risk-nuetral mean loss rate?

Note :V(B) is defined as value to A if B defaults and V(A) is defined as Value to B if A defaults

Thank you

Regards,
Peggy

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi Peggy

Apologies for delay.

"Is the net market value of credit risk = V(B)-V(A), the same are credit value adjustment?"

Yes, because the example (implicitly) assumes that the market price of the swap includes nothing for default/credit risk (i.e., "the swap rate is the at-market rate for default free counterparties"). Because the valuation includes a ZERO (before the pricing) for counterparty default, the CVA is V(B) - V(A). This has been traditionally standard practice, to value the instrument without counting counterparty (default) risk; in such a case, the CVA = market value of the counterparty risk.

So, the difference is merely "does the valuation already include, effectively, the market price/value of the default risk?" The CVA is the adjustment required to make up the difference. To use Canabarro's example,

net market value of default (counterparty) risk = 5

The CVA is whatever brings the market price into balance:

if (as the example) price already includes 2 for counterparty risk, then CVA = 3
But if (now this is more like 9.2), the price includes 0 for counterparty risk (i.e., a mid market valuation that ignores counterparty risk), then CVA 5

So, same concept, the CVA is just the adjustment that gets the full "market value of credit risk" recognized.

David

ajsa

Hi David,

Is V(B) or V(A) the counterparty exposure?

BTW Is counterparty exposure a market value (than FV)? what is the different between counterparty exposure and current counterparty exposure?

I am asking also because it seems some "exposures" are FV and some are MV. for example it seems that the EE in the formula of market value of credit risk (V(t) = EE*(t) × L*(t) × C(t)) is FV than MV.

Thanks.

ajsa

Hi David,

in your example, "Assume this valuation already includes an effective market value of 2 for the default risk to Party A". I wonder how to define/measure the 'effective market value for the default risk to Party A"?

thanks.