FRA Formula.

PaulGrey

Hi David,

As I learn more in Hull, I like to keep switching chapters to reiterate some of the points I previously learned to reinforce what I'm currently learning. It takes a lot longer to do but I think is worth it.....

For some reason I keep forgetting the formula for the FRA valuation i.e.
v=(T2R2 - T1R1) / (T2 - T1)

So I thought I'd try to derive it rather than try memorise it (why rely on memory, especially when you have a limited memory space like me, when you can work out the answer...hopefully...).

From my understanding of what the forward rate is actually defined as, I find this easy to remember... :)

EXP(R1)(T1).EXP(RF)(TF) = EXP(R2)(T2) .......

So the rate we're looking for is RF. TF is the time period that compounds T1 into T2 so sits between R2 and R1 Therefore: TF=T2-T1

So:
EXP(RF)(TF) = EXP(R2)(T2)/EXP(R1)(T1)

now move the denominator up to the numerator.
EXP(RF)(TF) = EXP[(R2)(T2)-(R1)(T1)]......

Therefore taking logs of both sides...
RF (TF) = R2.T2 - R1T1 .....where as previously stated TF = T2-T1

Rf = R2.T2 - R1T1 / (T2-T1)

Doing it this way also explains the terms T1 and T2 - i.e. in terms of years etc.

Hopefully this is able to help someone.
Appologies if its already been covered somewhere else...

Thanks,
Paul

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Paul,

That's helpful. I agree, it's very good to work this out. Especially because a constant source of confusion is the same mechanic employed in Tuckman's Fixed Income, but he uses semi-annual compounding so, at first glance, it looks different but it's essentially similar to Hull's that you've shown here. I think the XLS on the member page shows the conversion back and forth...this concept, IMO, is also very much a key building block; i.e., that a spot rate curve embeds a forward curve. David