Multiple regression

aligardezi

Hi,
This might be a really simple question :) but I am trying to understand the following statement

The multiple regression model permits estimating the effect on a dependent variable of changing on regressor while holding the other regressors constant.

What does it mean "hold the other regressors constant"?

ShaktiRathore

Subscriber
Hi,
For e.g. if the regression equation is y=b0+b1*x1+b2*x2+b3*x3 ,
suppose initial values of regressor be x1=a,x2=b and x3=c where a,b,c are constants so that the value of dependent variable y is y= b0+b1*a+b2*b+b3*c ...(1)
Now suppose we change the regressor x1 to new value x1=a' while holding the other regressors x2,x3 at their previous values so that x2=b and x3=c are constant at their previous values , a new value of y results say y'=b0+b1*a'+b2*b+b3*c ...(2)
(2)-(1) => y'-y = b0+b1*a'+b2*b+b3*c - (b0+b1*a+b2*b+b3*c) = b1*(a'-a) thus we have estimated the effect of changing the regressor value x1 on the dependent variable y by holding other regressors constant.

thanks

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @aligardezi It's a good question! In the assigned Stock & Watson, one of the multiple regression models (with three explanatory or independent variables; aka, three regressors) is given by:

TestScore = 649.6 - 0.29*STR + 3.87*Expn - 0.656*PctEL, where STR is the student-teacher ratio and Expn is total spending per student.

The -0.29 coefficient suggests that an increase of one student per class (STR = STR + 1 or ΔSTR = +1) is associated with a drop (due to the negative), on average, of test scores by 0.29. The qualifier--i.e., "hold the other regressors constant"--means that the expected drop of 0.29 in the test score, if STR increases by one unit, is conditional on holding the value of (Expn) and (PctEL) constant; that is, they do not change simultaneously, it is the "partial effect" of changing changing only the STR regressor rather than some combination of regressors. I hope that's helpful!

@ShaktiRathore Thank you! sorry for the cross-post :oops: