David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
P1 Focus Review 5th of 8: Products
Concepts
  • Swaps
  • Options
  • Option Trading Strategies
Swaps
I think the assignment (Hull) divides into three: comparative advantage; swap mechanics; and swap valuation. We have several practice questions on comparative advantage (it reduces to the observation that the total net gain equals the difference between fixed and floating rate differentials), but historically this tricky idea has barely been tested to my knowledge. You clearly need to be comfortable with swap mechanics so you can answer a very basic, non-quantitative question like one I included in the FR:
GARP 2010.P1.12. The yield curve is upward sloping, and a portfolio manager has a long position in 10-year Treasury Notes funded through overnight repurchase agreements. The risk manager is concerned with the risk that market rates may increase further and reduce the market value of the position. What hedge could be put on to reduce the position’s exposure to rising rates?
a) Enter into a 10-year pay fixed and receive floating interest rate swap.
b) Enter into a 10-year receive fixed and pay floating interest rate swap.
c) Establish a long position in 10-year Treasury Note futures.
d) Buy a call option on 10-year Treasury Note futures.

Some key (exam) points to keep in mind with respect to swap mechanics:
  • The vanilla interest rate swap (IRS) references notional; i.e., the notional is not exchanged (But the principal is exchanged in a currency swap, hence the maximum potential future [credit] exposure of a currency swap occurs at maturity)
  • By default, the floating rate is determined at the beginning of each period and paid at the end; e.g., the first fixed-rate settlement is known at swap inception
  • The duration of a swap position can be inferred from its valuation treatment as consisting of two bond legs: just as value[swap, POV of fixed-rate receiver, floating-rate payer] = value[fixed-rate bond] - value[floating-rate bond], the duration of the IRS from the perspective of the fixed-rate receiver (who is effectively long the fixed-rate bond-equivalent and short the floater) is approximately equal to the duration of the fixed-rate bond-equivalent. For example, the (modified) duration of a swap with a 3-year tenor, from the perspective of a 4.0% fixed rate payer is about 2.8 years at settlement because the duration equals 2.8 years (i.e., fixed rate bond) minus about zero (duration of floating-rate bond is time-to-next-coupon).
In regard to swap valuation, you must practice a few. You'll quickly see that it's just like pricing a bond but with a tiny additional step, where the key insight is that the floating-rate bond-equivalent, for valuation purposes, only requires a single cash flow due to the elegant fact that it prices exactly at par at the next settlement. In the FR, I included the classic sort of swap valuation that you could see on the exam:
GARP 2011.P1.E1.10. A bank had entered into a 3-year interest rate swap for a notional amount of USD 300 million, paying a fixed rate of 7.5% per year and receiving LIBOR annually. Just after the payment was made at the end of the first year, the continuously compounded 1-year and 2-year annualized LIBOR rates were 7% per year and 8% per year, respectively. The value of the swap at that time was closest to which of the following choices?

Options
In collecting the three-year sample of exam-type questions, I was surprised at the high prevalence of put-call parity in the FRM. Historically, put-call parity questions are very common. (please note this is a T3 summary and does not include discussion of option pricing models, OPM, which are T4 topics). It is essential that you memorize, and are utterly comfortable with, the put-call parity formula; for example, can you, without any reference, quickly produce the formula's equivalent of a covered call or protective put?

After you have mastered the usage of the put-call parity, c + K*exp(-rT) = p + S, you might take a look at my method for dealing with an arbitrage exploitation question, see http://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/how-to-work-put-call-parity-arbitrage-problems.6167/

Finally, I would be familiar with Hull's rules about the optimality of early exercise under the four permutations of call/put and European/American.

Option Trading Strategies
In my opinion, the section (a single Hull chapter) requires some of your time, if you want to be fully ready. So far, it's always been included in the exam. And, as i mentioned in the FR audio, to illustrate how we lack a shortcut here, last year GARP asked a question about box spreads, which totally surprised me as it's a really minor strategy. With respect to mechanics, Hull parses them into:
  • Asset + option; e.g., protective put, covered call
  • Spread strategies
  • Combinations
While that is a fine way to grasp them, you are unlikely to encounter an exam question along these lines. Rather, you want to focus on applications and risk/reward perspective, with particular emphasis on upside/downside potential. For example,
  • Which of the strategies are long volatility?
  • Which of the strategies are directional; ie., benefit from an increase/decrease in asset price?
  • Which have capped or uncapped payouts?
  • Which produce an initial cash inflow?

farnaz

Hi David,
I do appreciate if you can guide me to how can I price JGBS (japanese government bond future) in order to analyse its sensitivity in changing its yield.
Thanks

HPASI2304

Hi @David Harper CFA FRM

I just want to verify the correct answers to the swap questions, could you please share them? The link is broken and I didn't find the questions in the forum.

Also, regarding "...the optimality of early exercise under the 4 permutations of call/put and European/American...", this is only for American options, doesn't it?

Regards!

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
@HPASI2304 This focus review video is from 2012, so it has since been replaced with a new one. That is why the link is broken. The focus review videos are only available with the Professional study packages, so you will only be able to access them if you've purchased that study package.

Here are the links to the questions:

You can quickly find them by using the search function at the top of the page in the forum. Search is the best way for you to find anything that you are looking for. We also have tags that are very helpful and will open up the threads associated with that tag.