Securitization in Basel II

ahnnecabiles

Hi David,

According to your post entitled Securitization in Basel II, "if an asset is securitized through a so-called "true sale", the securitized exposure is recast from a single risk-weighted exposure into a set of "blended" risk weights that reflects the sub-divided risks that accompany its tranches". But, isn't it that if the securitized assets have been qualified as a "true sale", they in effect have been removed from the company's balance sheet? Why then we still need to allocate capital charge for those?

Thanks.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi Chinquee,

Yes, you are correct. I don't like my own wording. What I meant is, the securitization tends to tranche the exposure so that some may be transferred (and excluded from a charge) and some may be retained. Each retained tranche is treated separately.

Para 554 of Basel II says "An originating bank may exclude securitised exposures from the calculation of risk-weighted assets only if all of the following conditions have been met [e.g., did they transfer risk? did they relinquish control]. Banks meeting these conditions must still hold regulatory capital against any securitisation exposures they retain." So you are correct, exposures that are transferred in true-sale fashion are EXCLUDED but often tranches will be retained, and the retained tranches are assigned risk-weights. In this way, a $10 million exposure can be mostly excluded via securitization and only the retained tranches (exposures) will be charged with capital. (Annex 5 of Basel II has a good example).

David