T8 Q 27 practice

razu

Hi David

27.3. An equity-neutral hedge fund manager conducts a pair trade. On January 1st, she decides that Company A trading at $18.00 is undervalued, while Company B trading at $24.00 is overvalued. She takes a long position in 10,000 shares of Company A and a offsetting short position in 7,500 borrowed shares of Company B. During the interim three months, each Company pays $1.00 dividend per share. Three months later on April 1st (0.25 years), both shares converge to trade at $20.00, validating her thesis, and she reverses the trade. There is a total cost of $2,000 for all transactions ($1,000 on Jan 1st and $1,000 on April 1st) plus margin costs of $900 for the short sale; i.e., short sale $180,000 * 50% margin * 4.0% * 0.25 years. Which is nearest to the annualized return on the trade?

a. 38%
b. 60%
c. 85%
d. 110%

In the answer to this question, the denominator used to calculate the reture is 180,000. Dont understand this. Shouldnt the denominator just be the margin of 50% i.e. 90,000

Thanks

razu

Thanks for the response vallerano. But the question is what is the annualised return on the trade. The trade is long 10,000 in A in which case I pay $180K and short 7,500 in B in which case I receive $180 K. Hence I would think the calculation of the annualised return on the trade should not be calculated just on my investment in A. Please also see figure 8-20 of chapter 8 of Risk management and investment management GARP reading material which indicates the same. Happy to be corrected.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi razu,

Yes, it looks like I made a mistake, note that LeeBritain agreed earlier in the year.
see source at http://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/p2-t8-27-more-arbitrage-strategies-stowell.5693/#post-16282

I don't know why my XLS is missing. I need to put into an XLS, both exhibit 12.20 and this question but it sure looks to me like i neglected to deduct the funds received from the short (which is based on Stowell 12.20; and Stowell shows a $700 investment = 100*52 - 45*100, consistent with your point).

So i do agree with you, i'll annotate the source when I confirm the mistake, thanks,

vallerano

Thanks for the response vallerano. But the question is what is the annualised return on the trade. The trade is long 10,000 in A in which case I pay $180K and short 7,500 in B in which case I receive $180 K. Hence I would think the calculation of the annualised return on the trade should not be calculated just on my investment in A. Please also see figure 8-20 of chapter 8 of Risk management and investment management GARP reading material which indicates the same. Happy to be corrected.

Thank you, razu, you are right. I checked the Stowell example now, i skipped this bad quality size 4 print in the garp book at first go.