video notes on random variables and fundamentals of probability do not match study notes or GARP official textbook

GavinInsight

I've noticed across these two chapters now that a lot of the material covered in the video notes is not covered in GARP's textbook material at all and does not marry up to the learning outcomes provided in the study notes. Is there a reason for this or am i missing something blindingly obvious? for the maths heavy sections i am really struggling to make sense of some of the formulas without a description/key of what it is actually detailing. i studied economics at university roughly 6 years ago so am by no means a beginner with maths but i find myself regularly having to youtube a lot of the material looking for explanations

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
I've noticed across these two chapters now that a lot of the material covered in the video notes is not covered in GARP's textbook material at all and does not marry up to the learning outcomes provided in the study notes. Is there a reason for this or am i missing something blindingly obvious? for the maths heavy sections i am really struggling to make sense of some of the formulas without a description/key of what it is actually detailing. i studied economics at university roughly 6 years ago so am by no means a beginner with maths but i find myself regularly having to youtube a lot of the material looking for explanations
Hello @GavinInsight The instructional videos will be updated this year (our refresh is currently underway). However, the current videos are very relevant to the current curriculum. GARP changed the entire format of the Part 1 curriculum but most of the learning objectives (LOS) changes were cosmetic: minor modifications and wordsmithing: the majority of Part 1 was unchanged in terms of conceptual substance. Therefore, while the literal text often does not match in a shallow sense, the same concepts apply and the substance is a match (especially in Quantitative Methods and Analysis).