2014 Part 1 Published Materials

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @msli Possibly for next semester (Nov), certainly not for next week's (May) exam. We just published a new T8 Global Review, such that T1 Global Review and T9 Global Reviews are only "missing." As we have very few gaps, either we will want to start a sequence on T1 Global, or at least as likely, we may instead prioritize new P1/P2 Mock Exams. I suspect the latter (P1 Mocks) may more useful as (T1.) Foundations is currently, really more a small set of component topics (1. governance/ERM which suffers constant reading rotation; 2. CAPM/RAPM/APT; 3. case studies, and 4.), each of which we already have very well-covered, except for ethics; so I don't think it's a begging gap at all.

If Foundations were stronger--in particular, if there were a strong framework reading (which R8 is clearly not) or risk introduction reading (which IFC is definitely not), and/or if some of the definitions were seasoned and consistent (in particular "risk appetite" and related risk terms which creates problems for our more experienced customers, but have yet to settle apparently)--I'd definitely want to write a T1 Global before another P1 Mock, but I want/need the Global reviews to be somewhat robust over time (I need them to be relevant for more than 6-12 months) and, related, anchored in a coherent framework, which is not the case with Foundations currently, so i don't feel like it's screaming for a Global. Because, as of today, I'd be re-drilling component topics for which, in some cases, we've already layered with multiple passes. It's a long way to say, possibly next semester but we are more likely prioritize new Part 1 Mock(s), which of course, will include a Foundations component. Thanks,

filip313

Subscriber
Hi @filip313 You are correct that reading set questions (on average) are more recent than our Mocks (I assume you refer to our mocks, rather than GARP Practice Exam). However, I would nevertheless recommend prioritizing (doing first) the Mocks/Practice Exams. The reason is simple: in general, they are more representative (e.g., less difficult, less deep in many cases) of the exam, and especially for P1, any "trailing 2 to 4 year historical window" is highly relevant (in some cases, going back to 2000 is still fine). For P1, recency is not as critical as you might imagine; for example, Hull (the most important text in P1) has been essentially (core concepts) unchanged for years. (conversely, as the exam approaches, the "weakness" of some of our deep practice sets is that they go deeper than you will be tested; it is intentional per a long-term learning agenda, but let's not confuse that with an exam passing agenda).

Re: Is there any of the Practice Exams which is more relevant/more up to date? Our Study Planner represents our current effort, we will be revising/adding more in the second semester (including on online quiz). Thanks,

Thank you very much David.

Jo_

Subscriber
Hi @Jo_ We are working on R24 Country Risk (Wagner) notes today and this weekend: they will publish next week. We don't have a PQ set for them yet, I just finished the T9 Global Topic Review, and I haven't decided which PQ sequence goes next (in addition to the long T6 Gregory counterparty sequence that I am currently writing), I *might* start a PQ sequence on R24 as it's one of the few PQ gaps we currently have in P1 (but it would not finish until after the exam). I hope that helps, thanks,

Hi Nicole/David,

Just wanted to have a quick follow-up on this matter. I did spot the questions which were posted, but was wondering on the status of the study notes as it was mentioned they would be published this week. I realize the week is not over yet, but it is correct that i can not find them in the study planner yet - yes? Is the timing still on-track?

Aenny

Subscriber
Hi,

maybe I get your question wrong but basically it should be:

-> FRM study Planner (top of this page )-> Part I:tools and Therory -> then open up for example "Foundations of Risk Management" open up the apearing sections and download them (you can also open each in a seperated window by context menue).

Hope that helps?