2018: Part 2 New and Updated Published Materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Hi All, thanks for all these informations. Just one quick question: do you know if material about the new topic in Ops risk and Credit risk will be published? Ie, Sound management of risks related to money Laundering and financing of terrorism; and Counterparty Risk intermediation? Sorry if this question has been answered already. Thanks!
Hello @Geronimo

This question was asked and answered directly above your comment in this thread. :)

Thank you,

Nicole

I made the mistake of buying the Part I and Part II books last year, is it worth getting updated 2018 Part II books? Or generally will I get away with it?

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @sharman.jamie You will "get away with it." Normally I would not say this, but GARP only substantively changed T9. Current Issues this year (very rare). The rest of Part II is substantively unchanged. Definitely upgrade Current Issues, of course. The only other recommended upgrade would be Jon Gregory xVA, as GARP updated from 2nd to 3rd (although the concepts are mostly the same, the organization is different). I hope that helps!

Karim_B

Subscriber
Hi @Nicole Seaman @David Harper CFA FRM
Is there a way to receive an email when the original post in this thread gets updated with new material?

I'm currently watching this thread and received an email for David's latest post here https://forum.bionicturtle.com/thre...d-published-materials.13309/page-2#post-57392 but I just noticed by chance that the Dowd study notes were updated on the 25th, and I just finished studying those chapters today using the older (less thorough) study notes.

Would be great to receive an email when things change so I don't have to check this thread each time I'm about to study in case materials have been updated.

Thanks
Karim

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi @Nicole Seaman @David Harper CFA FRM
Is there a way to receive an email when the original post in this thread gets updated with new material?

I'm currently watching this thread and received an email for David's latest post here https://forum.bionicturtle.com/thre...d-published-materials.13309/page-2#post-57392 but I just noticed by chance that the Dowd study notes were updated on the 25th, and I just finished studying those chapters today using the older (less thorough) study notes.

Would be great to receive an email when things change so I don't have to check this thread each time I'm about to study in case materials have been updated.

Thanks
Karim
Hello @Karim_B

I am not aware of a way that you can follow the edits on an original thread, but I can check on that with our forum maintenance team. We created this thread to give our members a quick reference to what has been published or updated, along with the date of update. I've organized the thread in order by topic and reading so it is easy for a member to quickly view what has been updated. If you are going in to study a reading, I've made it easy to quickly reference this thread to see if there have been any updates made. We've visited this topic many times, and we have tried to improve the process as much as possible.

Thank you,

Nicole

Karim_B

Subscriber
Hello @Karim_B

I am not aware of a way that you can follow the edits on an original thread, but I can check on that with our forum maintenance team. We created this thread to give our members a quick reference to what has been published or updated, along with the date of update. I've organized the thread in order by topic and reading so it is easy for a member to quickly view what has been updated. If you are going in to study a reading, I've made it easy to quickly reference this thread to see if there have been any updates made. We've visited this topic many times, and we have tried to improve the process as much as possible.

Thank you,

Nicole
Thanks @Nicole Seaman
How about if you just add a post here each time you update the main thread and say "See original thread for today's updates".

That way we could receive an email without needing an enhancement to the forum.
Thanks
Karim

msun09

Hi, thanks for creating this forum. I am just wondering if there is a timeline for all the Instructional Videos or Question set to be completely updated. My concern is that when I get to a topic, the videos or the question set are still "coming soon"... Also, are you updating the videos and question sets in order? Thank you!

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
HI @msun09 I will let @Nicole Seaman speak to our video update strategy, if you don't mind. Although the answer will be, no we do not maintain such a "deadline" for ourselves. I just wanted to chime in on the Practice Question Sets: Regarding Part 1 PQ sets these are generally almost finished, with the exception of a few low-priority gaps in T4; e.g., the new Siddique and Hassan's Stress Testing set finishes next week (I write new questions every week per https://forum.bionicturtle.com/forums/todays-daily-questions.53/ ). Regarding Part 2, I am currently writing new T9 PQs for Current Issues, and at this rate, they will be done in several weeks. But at that time, we will generally be "caught up" with all important and/or relevant PQs and we will then shift to adding new questions to pre-existing question sets (adding fresh layers, so to speak).

We may have some "coming soon" on some assignments that are extremely low priority; there are a handful of readings in the syllabus that frankly just don't matter, or barely matter, so I am not obsessed with a criteria of 100% completely updated (e.g., I will instead prioritize a new, much improved formula sheets on which I am working). There are other anomalies: we have temporarily "moved to the back of the line" Hull's Chapter 23 because the 5th edition of his RM & FI releases next month, so I've delayed writing those PQs until immediately after the new edition is published (to maximize the shelf-life of questions).

That's a long way of saying that, by the end of approximately March, I perceive we will have filled any relevant gaps in our PQ sets (such that I will continue writing in 2018 per the discipline and our PQ DB will go even deeper than it already is!). In any case, we don't publish deadlines or make any promises for ultimate timelines, it doesn't make sense for our approach that builds quality continuously (and to be honest, I don't want the additional pressure, it's not healthy on quality). I will let Nicole comment on the video strategy. I hope that's a helpful insight.

Last edited:

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi, thanks for creating this forum. I am just wondering if there is a timeline for all the Instructional Videos or Question set to be completely updated. My concern is that when I get to a topic, the videos or the question set are still "coming soon"... Also, are you updating the videos and question sets in order? Thank you!
Hello @msun09

In addition to David's helpful information above, I wanted to respond to your question about our video strategy. In general, we do not update any of the materials in the study planner in any exact order. We update our materials according to perceived priority. Generally, we focus on any new readings that have been added to the curriculum first, and then we move on to fill in the gaps in the study planner, as David noted above. I'm not sure if you have read our publishing process thread HERE, but that explains our process in more detail.

The videos are a little bit different. Most of our videos have not been updated in quite some time, so we are planning to update our entire video library this year (which we have already started to do). I place the "coming soon" symbols in the study planner to give our members an idea of which videos are being published next. We do not have a specific date set for each video, but I can usually tell you which two sets are coming up next. For example, if you look in the study planner right now, there are only two video sets that have "Coming Soon" next to them are (1) Meissner under the Market Risk topic and (2) Gregory under the Credit Risk topic. Both of those readings have many chapters, so we will be preparing and publishing those videos from now into March. The first Meissner video should be published tomorrow. I've actually placed tentative dates in the description of Meissner to give our members an idea of when they will be published, and I will do the same with Gregory. I hope this helps!

Nicole

msun09

Hello @msun09

In addition to David's helpful information above, I wanted to respond to your question about our video strategy. In general, we do not update any of the materials in the study planner in any exact order. We update our materials according to perceived priority. Generally, we focus on any new readings that have been added to the curriculum first, and then we move on to fill in the gaps in the study planner, as David noted above. I'm not sure if you have read our publishing process thread HERE, but that explains our process in more detail.

The videos are a little bit different. Most of our videos have not been updated in quite some time, so we are planning to update our entire video library this year (which we have already started to do). I place the "coming soon" symbols in the study planner to give our members an idea of which videos are being published next. We do not have a specific date set for each video, but I can usually tell you which two sets are coming up next. For example, if you look in the study planner right now, there are only two video sets that have "Coming Soon" next to them are (1) Meissner under the Market Risk topic and (2) Gregory under the Credit Risk topic. Both of those readings have many chapters, so we will be preparing and publishing those videos from now into March. The first Meissner video should be published tomorrow. I've actually placed tentative dates in the description of Meissner to give our members an idea of when they will be published, and I will do the same with Gregory. I hope this helps!

Nicole
Thank you very much for the reply! It's really helpful. Is it safe to assume that if there is no "coming soon" next to a instructional video, the videos are either already updated or will not be updated between now and May? Thank you!

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Thank you very much for the reply! It's really helpful. Is it safe to assume that if there is no "coming soon" next to a instructional video, the videos are either already updated or will not be updated between now and May? Thank you!
Hello @msun09

I want to clarify what I stated above that we will be "updating our video library this year". That means that we will be updating all of our older videos this year (not necessarily before May). I can only place "Coming Soon" on the next two video sets that we are creating. We do not have a specific timeline for when our videos will be published so I cannot give dates for more than two video sets at a time. If it helps, most of our older videos show the date of 2012 directly on the video itself, so this should give you an idea of which videos are old.

Thank you,

Nicole

jamietay

Hi Nicole,

For Credit Risk Gregory, I noticed there’s no “coming soon” for the Question Set. Will it be updated anytime soon? I believe the changes are pretty significant for this one since it’s based on Gregory’s new book.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi Nicole,

For Credit Risk Gregory, I noticed there’s no “coming soon” for the Question Set. Will it be updated anytime soon? I believe the changes are pretty significant for this one since it’s based on Gregory’s new book.
Hello @jamietay

We do not place a coming soon label on every single reading, so if there is not a coming soon label, it doesn't mean that the materials will not be updated. I usually place a coming soon label on the materials that we are currently working on to give our members an idea of the next sets of materials that will be published. When there are significant changes in the curriculum, such as the Gregory reading that you mentioned, we do update the notes and questions sets accordingly.

Thank you,

Nicole

jamietay

Hello @jamietay

We do not place a coming soon label on every single reading, so if there is not a coming soon label, it doesn't mean that the materials will not be updated. I usually place a coming soon label on the materials that we are currently working on to give our members an idea of the next sets of materials that will be published. When there are significant changes in the curriculum, such as the Gregory reading that you mentioned, we do update the notes and questions sets accordingly.

Thank you,

Nicole

Thanks for the prompt reply Nicole. When will the updated Gregory Question Set be ready?

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Thanks for the prompt reply Nicole. When will the updated Gregory Question Set be ready?
Hello @jamietay

Please see our publishing process thread here: https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/important-please-read-publishing-process-for-2018.13308/, which states that we do not provide specific dates that our materials will be published. David writes new practice questions each week, many of which take hours to write. We work very hard every single day to prepare and publish updated and new materials. We will update the practice question set as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Nicole

Karim_B

Subscriber
Hi @David Harper CFA FRM @Nicole Seaman
In a couple of the R38-P2-T5 Meissner Correlation videos (Chs 1 & 3 if I remember correctly) David refers to a learning spreadsheet, but I don't see it in the study planner.

Just checking why it hasn't been released since it seems to exist based on the videos.
Thanks
Karim

Just a quick one, feel free to move this if its in the wrong place.

Are there practice questions for this chapter?

Note from Nicole: I moved this question here to this thread, where we discuss updated materials that are being posted.The original thread referenced the T8 Grinold reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Just a quick one, feel free to move this if its in the wrong place.

Are there practice questions for this chapter?

Note from Nicole: I moved this question here to this thread, where we discuss updated materials that are being posted.The original thread referenced the T8 Grinold reading.
Hello @sharman.jamie

We do not currently any have any practice questions for the Grinold reading. There are some readings that we choose not to write practice questions for, as they are either not a high priority reading or the content in the reading is just not a good candidate for practice questions. I cannot say for sure that there will not be a practice question set for this reading, but right now it is not on our to-do list in our task manager as being a priority reading.

@David Harper CFA FRM Do you have thoughts on this reading being a good/bad candidate for practice questions?

Thank you,

Nicole

Last edited:

Karim_B

Subscriber
Hi @David Harper CFA FRM @Nicole Seaman
For Gregory, Counterparty Credit Risk there's a 6th chapter on Collateral in the 2018 GARP learning objectives which is correctly listed in the Study Notes, but missing from the Study Planner header, and list of instructional videos.

Screenshot:
upload_2018-3-31_21-19-53.png

Thanks
Karim

Status
Not open for further replies.