2020 Exam Update from GARP (updated on a regular basis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattheweidinger

Under their FAQ, GARP says we have the option to change exam site in "My Programs". Here's the link: https://www.garp.org/#!/frm/frequently-asked-questions
I don't see the option to change testing site either. There is the option to click on "Email Us" if you would like to suggest a new test site; however, it is uncertain whether GARP will respond given the amount of emails they must be receiving from candidates.

I only see a defer option, but that does not work either, since the deadline (when I click on it) is March 1 2020. Maybe it just hasn't been updated or GARP is not permitting changing test centers (more likely) due to COVID.

I really hope that everything is under control in January and we can all write at that time...

Last edited:

tylerswob

I have emailed GARP multiple times now for about a week. They are not answering and I really do not know why. I contacted member services, as instructed, about how I cannot quarantine in Chicago for two weeks and what are my options since I cannot change exam sites. Also, I cannot sign their "exam ticket" registration form because the quarantine order in Chicago is exempted for "essential workers" and I need an answer as to whether or not this test qualifies for that.

Honestly, this is beyond frustrating. If anyone else is taking the test in Chicago in October and you live in a surrounding state, you may want to reach out to GARP as well. You may get lucky and they could answer you. If they do, please share here.

LucreziaB

I have emailed GARP multiple times now for about a week. They are not answering and I really do not know why. I contacted member services, as instructed, about how I cannot quarantine in Chicago for two weeks and what are my options since I cannot change exam sites. Also, I cannot sign their "exam ticket" registration form because the quarantine order in Chicago is exempted for "essential workers" and I need an answer as to whether or not this test qualifies for that.

Honestly, this is beyond frustrating. If anyone else is taking the test in Chicago in October and you live in a surrounding state, you may want to reach out to GARP as well. You may get lucky and they could answer you. If they do, please share here.

Try calling instead. They’ll send you an application and give themselves 14 (!) business days to respond. LOL

manp1216

Hello @manp1216

I just wanted to let you know that I responded to the private message you sent to me. I am very sorry to hear that your family has gone through this (both your brother being hospitalized and the mental toll that it has had on your family). It is very discouraging to hear that GARP is still charging a $150 deferral fee considering the fact that we are in the middle of a worldwide pandemic. I am very sorry, and I wish that there was something that we could do. :(

Thanks for your response @Nicole Seaman, Just to update you, my brother is back home and doing fine. After going through a very tough time, we are finally relieved. Also Garp has considered my request after seeing all the medical documents and has postponed my exam to May 2021.

Thanks.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
UPDATE: OCT 9, 2020
NEW YORK OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Due to local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its October 2020 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in New York, NY to January 16, 2021. All candidates registered for October’s Exams will automatically be registered for January’s Exams, which will be based on the same curriculum. Candidates do not have to take additional steps to register for January.

LucreziaB

Thanks for your response @Nicole Seaman, Just to update you, my brother is back home and doing fine. After going through a very tough time, we are finally relieved. Also Garp has considered my request after seeing all the medical documents and has postponed my exam to May 2021.

Thanks.

Very glad your brother has recovered! Best to you and your family.

If you don’t mind my asking, how long did it take for you to hear back from GARP once you submitted everything?

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
NEW LOCATION ANNOUNCED FOR OCTOBER EXAMS IN VIENNA

While GARP's Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Vienna will still be administered on October 24, 2020, the Exams will occur at a different venue.

The new venue’s address is:

Vienna Marriott Hotel
Parkring 12a
Vienna, Austria 1010

Candidates do not have to re-print their admission ticket; the address that appears on it in their portal is accurate.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
NEW LOCATION ANNOUNCED FOR OCTOBER EXAMS IN SCOTLAND

While GARP's Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Scotland will still be administered on October 24, 2020, the Exams will occur at a different venue.

Hilton Edinburgh Carlton
19 North Bridge
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Candidates do not have to re-print their admission ticket; the address that appears on it in their portal is accurate.

sidjani94

NEW LOCATION ANNOUNCED FOR OCTOBER EXAMS IN VIENNA

While GARP's Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Vienna will still be administered on October 24, 2020, the Exams will occur at a different venue.

Vienna Marriott Hotel
Parkring 12a
Vienna, Austria 1010

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW LOCATION ANNOUNCED FOR OCTOBER EXAMS IN SCOTLAND

While GARP's Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Scotland will still be administered on October 24, 2020, the Exams will occur at a different venue.

Hilton Edinburgh Carlton
19 North Bridge
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Due to local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its October 2020 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in New York, NY to January 16, 2021. All candidates registered for October’s Exams will automatically be registered for January’s Exams, which will be based on the same curriculum. Candidates do not have to take additional steps to register for January.

UPDATE: OCT 7, 2020
SINGAPORE OCTOBER EXAMS TO OCCUR AS SCHEDULED

Contrary to a previous alert, GARP will be administering its Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Singapore as scheduled on October 24, 2020.

UPDATE: OCT 7, 2020
NEW LOCATION ANNOUNCED FOR OCTOBER HONG KONG EXAMS

While GARP's Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Hong Kong will still be administered on October 24, 2020, the Exams will occur at a different venue.

With the Hong Kong’s Department of Health temporarily using AsiaWorld-Expo as a hospital and specimen collection center for COVID-19 patients through December, our Exams will now take place at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre. The full address/room number is:
Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre
1 Expo Drive, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Room Name: Hall 5BC

In addition, all candidates taking Exams in Hong Kong must complete a Declaration Form. Candidates must print the form, complete it in its entirety, bring it with them on exam day, and give it to their proctor during check-in. Candidates will also have their temperatures taken upon arrival at their venue in accordance with the guidelines by the Centre for Health Protection.

Candidates who don't bring their completed Declaration Form and meet the temperature requirements will not be allowed to sit for the Exam.

GARP is actively monitoring Hong Kong’s COVID-19 status and will continue to provide updates as the Exam date approaches. Please check back to this Important Notices center regularly for news or by following us on social media on Weibo, WeChat, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.

UPDATE: OCT 6, 2020
  • KUWAIT OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY
  • INDONESIA OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY
  • IRELAND OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY
  • TORONTO OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY
  • MONTREAL OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY
  • LOS ANGELES OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY
UPDATE: OCT 2, 2020: COMMON QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT THE 2020 EXAMS

View attachment 2890
UPDATE: SEP 30, 2020: REQUIREMENTS FOR CANDIDATES TAKING OCTOBER EXAMS IN MAINLAND CHINA
Due to local rules regarding COVID-19, candidates in China planning to take the Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams on October 24, 2020 are required to fill out a Health Statement. Candidates who do not complete the form will not be able to sit for the Exam. Candidates must print the form, complete it in its entirety, bring it with them on exam day, and give it to their proctor during check-in.
Candidates who do not complete the form will not be able to sit for the Exam. Candidates must print the form, complete it in its entirety, bring it with them on exam day, and give it to their proctor during check-in.

Additional safety requirements and protocols for Guangzhou, Shanghai, and Shenzhen are as follows:
  • Guangzhou: Candidates must register “Ping An Baiyun” on their WeChat app no later than one day before the Exam to be able to scan the provided QR code. Candidates will need to show a “pass” in order to be allowed into the venue.
  • Shanghai: Candidate will be required to record his/her temperature for the 14 consecutive days prior to the Exam on the Health Statement.
  • Shenzhen: While no additional action is required, GARP will be sharing all Shenzhen candidates’ passport/driver’s license numbers, names in Chinese characters, and phone numbers with the Shenzhen CDC. Candidates should have provided this information upon registration.
It is extremely important that candidates follow the instructions provided above. If they do not, they will not be able to sit for their Exam and will be required to pay the exam fee when they re-register.

UPDATE: SEP 30, 2020: MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Due to local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its October 2020 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Melbourne, Australia, to January 16, 2021. All candidates registered for October’s Exams will automatically be registered for January’s Exams, which will be based on the same curriculum. Candidates do not have to take additional steps to register for January.

UPDATE: SEP 30, 2020: SAN FRANCISCO OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Due to local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its October 2020 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in San Francisco to January 16, 2021. All candidates registered for October’s Exams will automatically be registered for January’s Exams, which will be based on the same curriculum. Candidates do not have to take additional steps to register for January.

UPDATE: SEP 30, 2020: BAHRAIN OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Due to local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its October 2020 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Bahrain to January 16, 2021. All candidates registered for October’s Exams will automatically be registered for January’s Exams, which will be based on the same curriculum. Candidates do not have to take additional steps to register for January.

UPDATE: SEP 30, 2020: PERU OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Due to local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its October 2020 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Peru to January 16, 2021. All candidates registered for October’s Exams will automatically be registered for January’s Exams, which will be based on the same curriculum. Candidates do not have to take additional steps to register for January.

UPDATE: SEP 30, 2020: ISRAEL OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Due to local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its October 2020 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Israel to January 17, 2021. All candidates registered for October’s Exams will automatically be registered for January’s Exams, which will be based on the same curriculum. Candidates do not have to take additional steps to register for January.
UPDATE 09/29/20: GARP has released new statements regarding the upcoming exams. https://www.garp.org/#!/important-notices

1. INDIA NOVEMBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Due to local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its November 2020 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in India to January 16, 2021. All candidates registered for November’s Exams will automatically be registered for January’s Exams, which will be based on the same curriculum. Candidates do not have to take additional steps to register for January.

2. REQUIREMENTS FOR CANDIDATES TAKING OCTOBER EXAMS IN MAINLAND CHINA
    Due to local rules regarding COVID-19, candidates in China planning to take the Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams on October 24, 2020 are required to fill out a Health Statement. Candidates who do not complete the form will not be able to sit for the Exam. Candidates must print the form, complete it in its entirety, bring it with them on exam day, and give it to their proctor during check-in.
September 5th: We understand that many of you are questioning whether or not the exams will take place in October and November. As of right now, it looks like there is no change to the plans for the exams to move forward. We received the information below from GARP:

"With the school year beginning and the last quarter of 2020 upon us, I understand that you may be getting questions from candidates about whether GARP’s Financial Risk Manager (FRM) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP) Exams will proceed in October and November as planned. We are closely monitoring conditions in the 53 countries where we give the exams and, at this point, we are planning to continue as planned in most locations. However, if local conditions change, we may have to postpone some exams to early 2021. Such postponement would only occur in locations where conditions warrant.

If we have to postpone the exams in a location, we will alert candidates immediately with the new testing date and options to defer their exam to another period, if the new date is not possible for them. This is similar to the steps we took when postponing the May 2020 Exams to October. We are also creating a new alerts page on our website, garp.org. I will share that with you when it goes live."

GARP also emailed us with this Update page. They have stated that they will be posting all updates here: https://www.garp.org/#!/important-notices.
For May & November, 2021 exams will the curriculum change?

COVID infections are spreading like wildfire in Europe, with announcements of stricter regulations looming in the upcoming days. I foresee many incoming cancellations in the upcoming week from the bigger countries.

tylerswob

COVID infections are spreading like wildfire in Europe, with announcements of stricter regulations looming in the upcoming days. I foresee many incoming cancellations in the upcoming week from the bigger countries.
From a grading standpoint, I wonder how those that are taking the October tests will fare--GARP does not say if it is based on country by country; regionally; or global test-takers in total. Seems like East Asia has the best chances of sitting uninterrupted exams in October and they will occupy most of the N population of the distribution. Pandemics do strange things to stats...

Eustice_Langham

From a grading standpoint, I wonder how those that are taking the October tests will fare--GARP does not say if it is based on country by country; regionally; or global test-takers in total. Seems like East Asia has the best chances of sitting uninterrupted exams in October and they will occupy most of the N population of the distribution. Pandemics do strange things to stats...
Its an interesting question and I am not trying to focus on just how this may skew the distribution as its a distraction. Presumably those sitting the exam in October will still receive results in January as promised, and that those that are now sitting the exams in January will be sitting a different exam than the one that they would have sat in October.

tkvfrm

Exam Defferal: Vancouver Canada Nov 2020

I have to defer my exam as I have a family emergency in the US. The deferral link is not active on ‘My Programs’. Mails to GARP is unanswered.
Any one in this forum can help with some info pls?

Sjegathe

Hello, you can only defer once, have you deferred your exams before. I am registered in toronto and I see the deferral option.

LucreziaB

Exam Defferal: Vancouver Canada Nov 2020

I have to defer my exam as I have a family emergency in the US. The deferral link is not active on ‘My Programs’. Mails to GARP is unanswered.
Any one in this forum can help with some info pls?

Like PP said you may have already deferred once. If you have a family emergency, GARP has a late deferral application process that hopefully they’ll let you apply for even if you’ve already deferred once (because of course you can’t predict/control these emergencies). Best thing to do is call them and they’ll send you an application. They’ll want to see documentation, etc. and they’ll want to charge $150.

Status
Not open for further replies.