Exam Feedback FRM Part 2 (November 2014) Exam Feedback

Roshan Ramdas

I put MBS 2 and Yield curve 2
I selected the same one,...but this was not a chapter that I had not gone through,....and I was just able to make a very shallow inference that MBS 2 which came with a longer maturity should have a higher yield and a larger difference to atleast a benchmark of treasury rates.

Could you walk me through the reasoning for this answer please ?

frmexam

Anyone remember the question on RAROC what interest rate we should lend.. remember vaguely.. for me none of the answers matched exactly
50/80 my guess would be a sure pass

frmexam

I missed the variance swap, I chose correct answer "easy to price" and later changed to it can be replicated using call and put ( wrong choice)

Hoang

Right ans: MBS2 YC2 :
Nominial & Z : conver when Age reduce -> diver when age high -> MBS 2
Nominial & Z : Diver when slop increase - > YC2 more upward

Roshan Ramdas

On your second question
MBS - Interest Rate Risk (is correct)
I don't think that a Certificate of Deposit poses liquidity risk to a bank and selected the other option. COD's come with fixed maturities allowing banks to plan their liquidity more effectively. I think it was the other option & I don't remember the name of the instrument :)

Think that the other instrument was termed "checking" account.

LittleTurtle

I also think that question has something wrong, the answer seems to be 35, but given the information it cannot be arrived.

They give the formula :

z = (x - pt) / SQRT(p*(1-p)T)

so x = z * SQRT(p*(1-p)T) + pT

x = 1,96 * SQRT(0,99*0,01*2500) + 2500*1%

x = 1,96 * 4,97 + 25 = 35

The trick was 99% VaR one tailed but 95% confident two tailed so z=1,96...

I first made the computation with 2,33 and 1,65 but luckily no answer matched. :)

Last edited:
Hi guys we have discussed/posted 60 questions out of 80 that perhaps appeared on exam...just keep grinding..we need another 10 questions to see how we all have performed in 70 questions that appeared on exam..

Hoang

I
Fwiw bid price is less then ask price. So when rm goes for mid price then it will increase the amount which they have to pay as they are on the paying side of credit protection "already paid 20,000" . So it will post losses for then, but don't understand about logic of regulators showing up there as using bid-ask mid price is okay with them. I think they might be posting big amount of losses :) in there books
I choose Big lost too .

Roshan Ramdas

Hi guys we have discussed/posted 60 questions out of 80 that perhaps appeared on exam...just keep grinding..we need another 10 questions to see how we all have performed in 70 questions that appeared on exam..
There was one question on factors that need to be considered while looking at quantile standard errors - I selected asymmetric confidence intervals
Another on facts pertaining to bootstrap, age weighted & volatility weighted HS - I selected age weighting being more responsive to losses,....data cluster.

HT_William

They give the formula :

z = (x - pt) / SQRT(p*(1-p)T)

so x = z * SQRT(p*(1-p)T) + pT

x = 1,96 * SQRT(0,99*0,01*2500) + 2500*1%

x = 1,96 * 4,97 + 25 = 35

The trick was 99% VaR one tailed but 95% confident two tailed so z=1,96...

I first made the computation with 2,33 and 1,65 but luckily no answer matched. :)

I understand, but my struggle was that the exact figure computed should be 34.75....
Therefore if X=35, the hypothesis should be rejected....

There was one question on factors that need to be considered while looking at quantile standard errors - I selected asymmetric confidence intervals
Another on facts pertaining to bootstrap, age weighted & volatility weighted HS - I selected age weighting being more responsive to losses,....data cluster.
even i selected asymetric confidence interval..