How the portfolio/positions mapping is done to calculate VAR at regular investment banks?

Hello,

To calculate VAR of large portfolios such as those of regular banks, study materials mention a few ways such as mapping to smaller numbers of risk factors, but what is ACTUALLY done?

Do they really do that? Given non-linear nature of many of their portfolios, it doesn't seem to make sense.
Do they calculate VAR for the smallest entity such as a book and add them up to a higher level by assuming correlation among them? This will be easier but, theoretically, can introduce inconsistent correlations implicitly since many of them contain the same instruments.

This is a typical problem I see when studying FRM. They explain with a very simplified and idealized case and mentioned a few alternatives or improved ways without giving any real world information. If anyone can help me on understanding, I would be really appreciated.

Also can anyone also tell me how "real" risk budgeting process work?
Do they allocate VAR only or other measures?

Many thanks!

Edgar Oropesa

Hi Monooki99

Your question is very interesting and if you have already received some feedback I would appreciate that you share it with me. In fact, I’ve also wondered how do banks for estimating one measure of Var for all positions, including several assets class. I think a historical method could be useful for estimating a daily Var but I hardly imagine how to get daily information for all positions. I would like to have the opportunity to discuss with someone working in a risk management unit of a banc. I’m a quantitative analyst who is much more involved in market risk of portfolio of stocks. I just passed the FMR level II thanks to David Harper and it’s videos, papers and Excel Sheets. I recommend everyone who wants to get deeper knowledge and practical implementation skills of risk measurement strategies to become David costumer

Sincerely yours
Edgar Oropesa