Exam Feedback November 2018 Part 1 Exam Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHoekstra

genneraly, cs(0;t) can derive from LGD&PD, can uremember other alternatives?

I recall marking something along the lines of 'The credit spread can change significantly without there being an increased default risk for the company in question'. Think that was the correct answer, think it is somewhere in the Damodaran reading.

cmfrtblynmb209

I recall marking something along the lines of 'The credit spread can change significantly without there being an increased default risk for the company in question'. Think that was the correct answer, think it is somewhere in the Damodaran reading.

I recall the most logical answer being something along the lines of the credit spread could change without a change in the underlying (Treasury, LIBOR, etc) rate.

AHoekstra

I recall the most logical answer being something along the lines of the credit spread could change without a change in the underlying (Treasury, LIBOR, etc) rate.

You are right it refered to no change in the underlying indeed, thanks! What I mention was probably how I somehow justified that answer haha.

gprisby

Just curious. How many hours would you estimate you put in? I would say 250-300. Probably closer to 300. I watched every video, read all notes, did all BT problems and 75% of GARP practice exams... until I started catching errors on them. My work paid, so I tried to put in my best effort. I found this to be much more challenging than graduate level classes I have taken so far.

cmfrtblynmb209

Just curious. How many hours would you estimate you put in? I would say 250-300. Probably closer to 300. I watched every video, read all notes, did all BT problems and 75% of GARP practice exams... until I started catching errors on them. My work paid, so I tried to put in my best effort. I found this to be much more challenging than graduate level classes I have taken so far.

I'd estimate maybe 100 hours. Could be more, but nowhere near your 250-300. To be fair, I have a career background (10+ years) in financial risk management, including ERM, VaR concepts, MBS and structured products, etc.

is u implied qstn containing CHF net bought& NFA & CHF exchange rate change as inputs?

genneraly, cs(0;t) can derive from LGD&PD, can uremember other alternatives?
For the CCY I dont remember the currency but you had to do à basic asset- liabilities + bought - sold or formula...

For credit risk as said other members it was credit risk can change sihnificantly without change in the underlying.. si I was definitely wrong

cmfrtblynmb209

For the CCY I dont remember the currency but you had to do à basic asset- liabilities + bought - sold or formula...

For credit risk as said other members it was credit risk can change sihnificantly without change in the underlying.. si I was definitely wrong

Correct re: the FX question. As I recall they were net short the currency.

gprisby

I'd estimate maybe 100 hours. Could be more, but nowhere near your 250-300. To be fair, I have a career background (10+ years) in financial risk management, including ERM, VaR concepts, MBS and structured products, etc.

Wow, nice. I’ve done audit and control type work mostly, but nothing really quantitative until a few years ago when I moved to Treasury. A few grad stat classes too.

gprisby

I put net short. Can’t remember what exposure direction I put though. Hopefully increase!

Last edited:
Hi All, I was comfortable to mark around 80 to 85 questions. Level of difficulty and in detainees of BT materials, videos and forum discussions were greatly helped me a lot. I personally satisfied with the way i prepared for the exam and execution. Though many of complex calculations was not part of the exam, it tested all theory related questions including in stats which immensely helped to cover all 100 questions with in the time period.

One questions from 2012 GARP Practice exam (regarding hedging) was part of the exam this time without any amendment. Secondly, it was a surprise to see a questions on Weighted average coupon (WAC) & Weighted average maturity (WAM) - would request David and Nicole to cover a question on WAC & WAM in their practice question papers.

Again, BT materials, David's explanation and visual representation of all concepts helped a lot. Thanks to BT team.
Looking forward your support for part 2 exam.

Questions from MSC is about replacement and reuse of sample data - option is bootstrapping - not antithetic and control variate.

Questions from Modeling trends regarding penalty factor was tricky. As per theory, SIC has highest penalty factor, the way questions was asked in the exam with the help of graph (provided penalty factor on Y axis) to find out AIC - which also has highest penalty factor, but increases at a slower rate compare to SIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.