P1.T3.502. Foreign exchange (FX) hedges

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Learning objectives: Identify the sources of foreign exchange trading gains and losses. Calculate the potential gain or loss from a foreign currency denominated investment. Explain balance-sheet hedging with forwards.

Questions:

502.1. Sun Bank USA purchased a 16.0 million one-year euro loan that pays 7.0% interest annually. The spot rate of U.S. dollars per euro is $1.10. Sun Bank has funded this loan by accepting a British pound-denominated deposit for the equivalent amount and maturity at an annual rate of 5.0%. The current spot rate of U.S. dollars per British pound is $1.60. At the end of the year, assume the euro depreciates such that the spot rate of U.S. dollars per euro falls to $1.00. Which is nearest to the required spot rate of U.S. dollars per British pound at the end of the year, in order for the bank to earn a net interest margin of 2.0%? (note: this is a variation on Saunders' Question #11)

a. $1.40 per £1; i.e., GPBUSD
b. $1.50
c. $1.60
d. $1.70

502.2. Suppose that a U.S. financial institution has $200.0 million in assets at the start of the year. Half of its assets are invested domestically in US loans, while the other $100.0 million is invested abroad in the United Kingdom. The (default risk-free) US loans yield 4.0% and the (default-free) loans in the United Kingdom, which denominated in pound sterlings, yield 10.0%:

P1.T3.502.2.jpg

This institution employs what Saunders calls an "on-balance sheet hedge;" it hedges by matching the maturity and currency of its foreign asset-liability book. The promised one-year U.S. CD rate is 3.0%, to be paid in dollars at the end of the year. The institution funds the British loans with $100.0 million equivalent one-year pound CDs at a rate of 6.0%. The exchange rate of dollars for pounds at the beginning of the year is $1.60/£1; i.e., GBPUSD $1.60. At the end of the year, assume the pound sterling plummets (depreciates) against the dollar to $1.20. Which is nearest to the implied net interest margin ? (note: variation on Saunders' Question #16)

a. -3.75%
b. -0.84%
c. +2.00%
d. +3.33%

502.3. Suppose the a U.S. financial institution has $600.0 million in assets, at the start of the year, which are funded by US certificates of deposit (CDs) with a promised one-year of 3.0%. The institution invests $400.0 million domestically in U.S. loans that yield 5.0% and the remaining $200.0 million are invested abroad in euro-denominated loans that yield 8.0%:

P1.T3.502.3.jpg

Rather than match foreign asset position with liabilities (i.e., on balance sheet hedging), the institution uses the forward FX market to employ an off-balance-sheet hedge. The exchange rate of dollars for euros at the beginning of the year is $1.15/€1. The current forward one-year exchange rate between dollars and euros is $1.12/€1; that is, the forward trades at a $0.03 discount to the spot FX rate. Which is nearest to the net interest margin over the year?

a. 1.52%
b. 2.06%
c. 3.00%
d. 4.17%

Answers here:

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Why I got permission error on trying to view the answers.
Hello @mgd

The answers to the daily practice questions are in the paid section of the forum. In order to gain access to the paid sections of the forum, you need to be a paid subscriber. I checked your account and it does not look like you have purchased one of our study packages. You can view all of our study packages HERE. Once you have purchased one of our packages, you will have full access to the forum.

Thank you,

Nicole