P1.T4.PQ Measures of financial risk Dowd -ES

FRMCAND

Hi David,
Concerning PQ 29.1 VaR Coherent risk measure ,I do not understand the reasoning about Prob of zero default=[95%^3].Is alpha considered as the prob that the bond will not default?
Given the PD bond, I'm tempted to measure the prob of no default as [1-PD].
Thank you very much four your help.

PS.i make mistake in the thread name.i mean VaR,not ES...I'm unable to modify it.sorry

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi FRMCAND,

Here is the source, with discussion http://forum.bionicturtle.com/threa...alue-at-risk-var-coherent-risk-measures.5690/
i.e., I show Prob [zero defaults] = 97%^3.

You are, of course, correct that prob [no default among n | i.i.d.] = (1-PD)^n, but as, in this question, PD = 3%, we can define (as Saunders does) p = prob of repayment = 1 - PD, such that Prob[no default | i.i.d.] = (1-PD)^n = p^n.

The PD & p inform the ultimate binomial distribution, right? VaR is another matter, it returns a property of that distribution (quantile). Dowd uses alpha (α) = significance, such that 1 - α = confidence, and he happens to call that p, so he uses 1 - α = p. For example, a 95% VaR --> 1 - 5% = 95% confidence, so his p = 95%. But that is not to be confused with 1-PD.
(another example of how formula memorization can make this worse. All of these are just symbols)

I think my XLS in the source thread shows it nicely, if i do say so myself ;) :
1114_P1T4_29_var.png

I love this for its illustration of VaR's lack of subadditivity, which i stole from Dowd of course. Maybe consider this in two steps, in order to emphasize the difference between the distribution and VaR (which retrieves a property of the distribution):
  1. PD (aka, EDF) = 3%, so we could say prob that all three bonds repay = (1-pd)^3 = p3 = 97%^3 = 91.2673%. Similarly, prob that all 3 default = 3%^3 = .0027%).
  2. VaR is then an arbitrary (user design decision) as to what confidence level (= 1 - significance level) we prefer to select. We can retrieve the 95%/5% VaR; we could retrieve the 97%/3% VaR, in which case the 3% is merely coincident. I hope that helps,

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
FRMCAND I see we didn't catch the correction in the PDF; i.e., the PDF explain incorrectly has "the probability of zero defaults = 95%^3 = 91.26%"
... which should be "the probability of zero defaults = 97%^3 = 91.26%. We need to fix that, sorry I see your confusion now. cc Suzanne Evans

FRMCAND

Hi David,
exactly I was working on PDF file. I apologize for submit you a question already existing, but I did not found path as in the pdf.
In any case, I really appreciate your complementary explanation, for a better understanding of VaR's subadditivity violation.
Thank you very much.