JohnnyTyler01

Hi everyone, I just passed Part I and am going to register for Part II soon. For Part I, I relied 100% on BT. However, for part II since from what I hear is much more qualitative, I'm thinking of using either the GARP books or Schweser in addition to BT. Does anyone here have any experience with the GARP texts for Part II or did anyone just rely on BT? Thanks!!

janicekg

I am in the same situation !

@lucasrferro @mikeyen One topic per month might not be the best use of your time.
In my case, I proportioned my study time according to the weights of the FRM part 1 exam. I prioritized topics which are quantitative and require lots of practice. Followed this sequence: 3 -> 4 -> 2 -> 1. Topics 3 and 4 cover a lot of important concepts which cannot be crammed.

Last edited:

mikeyen

@lucasrferro @mikeyen One topic per month might not be the best use of your time.
In my case, I proportioned my study time according to the weights of the FRM part 1 exam. I prioritized topics which are quantitative and require lots of practice. Followed this sequence: 3 -> 4 -> 2 -> 1. Topics 3 and 4 cover a lot of important concepts which cannot be crammed.

That's a good idea. Thanks!

Ashfak

Hi, I am new to FRM and BT. I am looking to do FRM exam in May but not sure what providers to use and what needs to be done. Anyone willing to help?

PS. I have done some research and many have advised that in conjuction to using BT one should use Schwesen materials too.

My questions are; Do we need anything else apart from what BT advise?

If using BT what module is better suited from the 3 options, i.e. basic, advanced and professional.

Valli1986

Hello all, I would be sitting for the upcoming FRM part II exam. After appearing for the exam, Do you think reading schweser notes and solving BT questions is better option or going with BT notes & questions is sufficient to clear the exam? Does reading Schweser notes helps in improving the understanding and does it covers more scope than BT?

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Hello all, I would be sitting for the upcoming FRM part II exam. After appearing for the exam, Do you think reading schweser notes and solving BT questions is better option or going with BT notes & questions is sufficient to clear the exam? Does reading Schweser notes helps in improving the understanding and does it covers more scope than BT?
Hello @Valli1986

Please note that I moved your question here to this thread where other members have provided their study plans. I cannot speak to the scope of Schweser's notes, but I'm sure you will see in this thread that our materials have helped many people to pass the exam. Our materials cover all of the learning objectives in the FRM curriculum. We also have over 4,000 practice questions that were written by our CEO, David Harper. Each of those practice questions has a forum link where you can discuss that specific practice question and ask any questions that you might have. I hope this is helpful!

Thank you,

Nicole

Linette Joseph

Hi David,
I'm new to BT's study notes, learning spreadsheets and the forum. I used Schweser for FRM P1 but chose to use BT for P2.
I find a few things confusing -
- As you've mentioned a couple times on this thread here that Jorion's logic is sometimes antique, i'm confused how much of his parlance and solutions should i be investing in
- how far into the past questions should i be referring to
- basically the approach i am following is - reading through study notes with end of chapter questions and learning spreadsheets (cos Jorion's problems do not have step-by-step solutions). once i would be done with the whole topic, i would then refer to the question set. but i am getting easily confused or unable to relate Jorion or other study note examples/terminology to what i studied in P1 (could that be cos i used Schweser there?). Like in this case i dont know why Jorion is using the 95% deviate to get the TE VaR...
I cleared P1 scoring in the top quartile in all 4 sections but im feeling quite demotivated here, almost as if i cant relate to P1 basics at all.
Could you please advise what you think im not doing right?

thanks in advance.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @Linette Joseph Welcome! Jorion is a fundamental author in the syllabus. Not sure what you meant by "antique." I've probably mentioned that the readings are old, but he is a KEY author for sure. @Nicole Seaman can you please take a swipe at the rest of this question, I am super-pressed for time and then I'll check-in tomorrow for any need follow-up. I'm just not sure how to answer this question quickly. If we need to move it (out of the specific question) to the general P2.T5, let's do that. Actually, I think we probably should move this ....

jean.kavalakat

Hi all

I am a Frm 1 candidate for May 2019.I need an efficient way to clear the exams. I am struggling on time as I am working full time in credit risk team and with 2 kids at home its very challenging. Only time I have is early morning and weekends. Is it ok if I just do the question papers? I am half way through Quantitative analysis but finding it quite tough. Any guidance would be appreciated

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi all

I am a Frm 1 candidate for May 2019.I need an efficient way to clear the exams. I am struggling on time as I am working full time in credit risk team and with 2 kids at home its very challenging. Only time I have is early morning and weekends. Is it ok if I just do the question papers? I am half way through Quantitative analysis but finding it quite tough. Any guidance would be appreciated
Hello @jean.kavalakat

I just wanted to point out that I moved your question to this post, which has some great ideas for creating a study plan. Since you are a subscriber, I would highly recommend that you view our instructional videos in addition to the practice question sets. The instructional videos can help to explain things further if you have questions. Our forum is always a great reference for any questions that you have after studying a concept also. There is over a decade of discussions here in the forum. I hope this is helpful!

Nicole

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi David,
I'm new to BT's study notes, learning spreadsheets and the forum. I used Schweser for FRM P1 but chose to use BT for P2.
I find a few things confusing -
- As you've mentioned a couple times on this thread here that Jorion's logic is sometimes antique, i'm confused how much of his parlance and solutions should i be investing in
- how far into the past questions should i be referring to
- basically the approach i am following is - reading through study notes with end of chapter questions and learning spreadsheets (cos Jorion's problems do not have step-by-step solutions). once i would be done with the whole topic, i would then refer to the question set. but i am getting easily confused or unable to relate Jorion or other study note examples/terminology to what i studied in P1 (could that be cos i used Schweser there?). Like in this case i dont know why Jorion is using the 95% deviate to get the TE VaR...
I cleared P1 scoring in the top quartile in all 4 sections but im feeling quite demotivated here, almost as if i cant relate to P1 basics at all.
Could you please advise what you think im not doing right?

thanks in advance.
Hello @Linette Joseph

I've moved your question here, where many members have discussed their study plans. This thread has been helpful to many of our subscribers, as it helps them to create a study plan that is unique to their situation, while also taking advice from others. Note that there are 7 pages in this discussion thread so there is a great deal of advice. It is difficult to provide you with advice on exactly how you should study, however, over the years many have stated that studying the study notes & instructional videos first were helpful in initially learning the concepts. Then they've used the practice questions to test what they have learned. The spreadsheets are helpful to those who want to learn about the concepts more in depth, as they provide the calculations that are used throughout the materials.

I'm sure there are others who have started with Schweser for Part 1 and then switched to Bionic Turtle for Part 2 so they may have advice on the differences in study techniques. If you would like to access our Part 1 materials to refresh your memory, you can view the Part 1 study packages HERE. Even the Basic package with the notes and practice questions may help to refresh your memory of the concepts in Part 1. If you are not able to purchase an additional package, you can also use our forum to go through the different concepts in Part 1. There are many discussions in the forum that can help to refresh your memory.

I hope this helps!

Nicole

Linette Joseph

Hello @Linette Joseph

I've moved your question here, where many members have discussed their study plans. This thread has been helpful to many of our subscribers, as it helps them to create a study plan that is unique to their situation, while also taking advice from others. Note that there are 7 pages in this discussion thread so there is a great deal of advice. It is difficult to provide you with advice on exactly how you should study, however, over the years many have stated that studying the study notes & instructional videos first were helpful in initially learning the concepts. Then they've used the practice questions to test what they have learned. The spreadsheets are helpful to those who want to learn about the concepts more in depth, as they provide the calculations that are used throughout the materials.

I'm sure there are others who have started with Schweser for Part 1 and then switched to Bionic Turtle for Part 2 so they may have advice on the differences in study techniques. If you would like to access our Part 1 materials to refresh your memory, you can view the Part 1 study packages HERE. Even the Basic package with the notes and practice questions may help to refresh your memory of the concepts in Part 1. If you are not able to purchase an additional package, you can also use our forum to go through the different concepts in Part 1. There are many discussions in the forum that can help to refresh your memory.

I hope this helps!

Nicole
Thank you Nicole, I'm going to skim through this thread to find something that'll help, I'm sure I will. I have always been in awe of BT material and im sure I just need to get myself more acquainted with it. Thanks again, will reach out in case I find myself stuck again.

FrancescoMat

Hello everyone! First of all, thank you for creating this kind of community ... it's one of my favorite sites now!
I have a couple of questions to ask and I hope not to be redundant and I hope I can also give ideas to those who like me might have these doubts.

I have a master's degree in Economics and Economic Policy, and I currently work in the IT sector. However, I would like to work together by talking to more economic and financial sectors and I think the FRM can help me out.

I am willing to take the exam in November 2019 and I think that, by working, the time available is right, neither too much nor too little.

I seem to have understood that there are two ways of preparing for the exam. "Studying to pass the exam" and studying to be fully aware of the topics. Confirm? Many things that are in the books are not useful to pass the exam?

How to organize the study? How to mark the timing?

Historically, how have the tests changed and what kind of "model" do the tests currently have? And always linked to the time factor, is there a difference between the material to be studied now and that of 4 years ago?

Last question: which material do you recommend? I know we are on the BT website, and sorry if this question sounds inappropriate!
How to orient myself between the materials for the theoretical part and for the practical part?
I have a background related to the finance world, but I really need a deep refresh of the topics.

I am very attached to paper so the books, in paper version, are very important for me.

I thank everyone who decides to make a contribution and I hope it can also be used for other readers.

Thank You!

Francis

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hello everyone! First of all, thank you for creating this kind of community ... it's one of my favorite sites now!
I have a couple of questions to ask and I hope not to be redundant and I hope I can also give ideas to those who like me might have these doubts.

I have a master's degree in Economics and Economic Policy, and I currently work in the IT sector. However, I would like to work together by talking to more economic and financial sectors and I think the FRM can help me out.

I am willing to take the exam in November 2019 and I think that, by working, the time available is right, neither too much nor too little.

I seem to have understood that there are two ways of preparing for the exam. "Studying to pass the exam" and studying to be fully aware of the topics. Confirm? Many things that are in the books are not useful to pass the exam?

How to organize the study? How to mark the timing?

Historically, how have the tests changed and what kind of "model" do the tests currently have? And always linked to the time factor, is there a difference between the material to be studied now and that of 4 years ago?

Last question: which material do you recommend? I know we are on the BT website, and sorry if this question sounds inappropriate!
How to orient myself between the materials for the theoretical part and for the practical part?
I have a background related to the finance world, but I really need a deep refresh of the topics.

I am very attached to paper so the books, in paper version, are very important for me.

I thank everyone who decides to make a contribution and I hope it can also be used for other readers.

Thank You!

Francis
Hello @FrancescoMat

Welcome to the BT forum! I've moved your post to this thread, which should answer many of your questions. There are 7 pages of discussion in this thread and it is all related to creating a study plan for the FRM exam. There are some great tips from other members in this thread. Regarding your question about which materials you should use, we obviously recommend our (BTs) materials, but I know that many of our members also use the GARP books in addition to our materials.

I highly recommend that you also visit our FAQ page which provides a great deal of information on the study materials that BT provides. You will also find a great post about our practice questions (over 4,000 of them!) that our CEO, David Harper, writes himself every week. All of our materials are in-depth and include extensive explanations about the FRM concepts. We are not only here to help you pass the FRM exam. We are passionate about making sure that our members understand the concepts in order to use them after they have passed the exam also.

I hope this is helpful! :)

Nicole

Branislav

Dear colleagues,
I will kindly ask for strategy regarding approaching exam day..did you went to all question sets ( or made some selection) , or you are more focused on GARP exam questions?
I will appreciate any suggestion.
Kind regards

christylee

Hello. I am preparing for his coming may exam for part 2 and wondering whether it us necessary to fully read through and memorize chapter 12 of garp book :eek:perational risk. The readings seem so vast and deep and it is taknig too much time to read through. And is here specific parts I should focus on this chapter?

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hello. I am preparing for his coming may exam for part 2 and wondering whether it us necessary to fully read through and memorize chapter 12 of garp book :eek:perational risk. The readings seem so vast and deep and it is taknig too much time to read through. And is here specific parts I should focus on this chapter?
Hello @christylee

I've moved your question to this thread, which discusses the study plans and advice from other members. Others may have specific advice regarding the readings in Topic 7, but we always recommend that you make sure to study all of the concepts that are in the learning objectives that GARP has provided, as those are the concepts that will be tested on the exam.

Thank you,

Nicole

christylee

Hello David,
FRM part 2 topic 3 is quite in-dept and long and there's only 1 month to go before and exam, and I am quite at a loss
which parts I should focus on more than others. So exam-wise, are there particular parts that I need to study more in-depth,
reading through the garp books and stuff?? And it seems like there are some parts where in garp books, the pages are way longer than the study notes
you have provided. For instance, for the topic: Failure in dealer banks, the garp books cover alot while the study notes cover only 5 pages. So can I just
assume that those parts won't be highly testable?? Please I need your advice on studying operational risk underfrm part 2.

christylee

Hello.
I am wondering whether it is enough to only look through and sstudy the notes you have provided
for this topic: credit risk. I have the garp books but don't have enough time to go through it all. So
I have hardly read the book. I am only studying with the notes and video on the study planner. Will
that suffice???Or if not, is there specific parts under this topic that I need to focus on more exam-wise?
Please I need your advice. Thank you.