2020 Exam Update from GARP (updated on a regular basis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsedEconomist

Call them. There's no queues and they're very accommodating. You'll be finished in 5 minutes. The number is on the website (NJ headquarters), select the call option to list the whole directory and select option 1 for exams.

Would this apply to those whose exam is already deferred to Jan? Current projections show COVID trends will be way worse in early 2021 than now so highly unlikely it will still be able to take place, or at least make candidates feel secure in taking exam by then

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Would this apply to those whose exam is already deferred to Jan? Current projections show COVID trends will be way worse in early 2021 than now so highly unlikely it will still be able to take place, or at least make candidates feel secure in taking exam by then
@UsedEconomist

The only way to know this is to contact GARP directly. There are some people who have said that they were being charged for their deferral. Unfortunately, we aren't sure exactly what their policy is for deferrals, as we've heard different experiences that members have had when contacting GARP.

I have mailed GARP directly, but did not receive an answer. However, at least for Switzerland, there has been an official Mail:

Dear Candidate,

Due to COVID restrictions, we relocated our exam venue for the October 24, 2020 FRM and ERP exams.

Hilton Garden Inn Zurich Limmattal
Kreuzaeckerstrasse 5
Spreitenbach, Switzerland CH-8957

You will need to reprint your admission ticket with the correct address. You can access your admission ticket on the My Programs page on your GARP account.

The old address (Sheraton Zurich Hotel) has been removed from your portal and is roughly a 12-minute drive from the new address.

We strongly recommend that you visit the venue a few days prior to the Exam, so that you know exactly where to go. On the day of the Exam, please allow enough time in your commute for any unexpected delays.

GARP is actively monitoring Zurich's COVID-19 status and will continue to provide updates as the exam date approaches. Please visit our Important Notices center regularly for news and follow us on social media on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.

abhi2shek2003

All - In one of the forums i learnt that GARP is allowing deferrals in case candidates are not comfortable with current dates. You just have to call them to get it done. I had mailed them at the start of the month but it took them 3 weeks to reply and just when i thought i was ready for the exam due in 3 days, they mailed me saying deferral has been granted ha ha lol

hlahdar

All - In one of the forums i learnt that GARP is allowing deferrals in case candidates are not comfortable with current dates. You just have to call them to get it done. I had mailed them at the start of the month but it took them 3 weeks to reply and just when i thought i was ready for the exam due in 3 days, they mailed me saying deferral has been granted ha ha lol
Thanks for the info ! Did you defer it to the november date?

Sjegathe

I think the exam is happening. As you can see they’ve only assigned 3 halls in banfield which may suggest the no of candidates is not that much, and i am guessing they should definitely be able to find alt loaction, hotel for example.

vinebills

I doubt it - those halls have large capacity..........for CFA the halls accomodated around 200 + easily.........but you never know......issue is not capacity......is it safe enough to conduct these exams ? I dont know......Also i am not sure what is the point in moving it to Jan, nothing is going to change with holiday /flu season rolling in. Ideally it should be March but i am no expert in this area :(

lucalaboranti

Hey guys, I know it's not a very professional question to ask (since our goal here is to give our best regardless of the circumstances) but I was wondering how do you think the low participation rate to the Oct/Nov FRM exams would impact the passing rate? In other words, do you think the chances of passing the exam with an average preparation would be lower, higher or unchanged compared to the last couple of years?

VWJETTY

Hey guys, I know it's not a very professional question to ask (since our goal here is to give our best regardless of the circumstances) but I was wondering how do you think the low participation rate to the Oct/Nov FRM exams would impact the passing rate? In other words, do you think the chances of passing the exam with an average preparation would be lower, higher or unchanged compared to the last couple of years?

I'm not sure i was thinking this exact thought the other day. Because they never publish their passing criteria whether it's based on average score or just an absolute score.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
UPDATE: OCT 21, 2020
IMPORTANT CANDIDATE INFORMATION FOR MACAO’S OCTOBER EXAMS

To sit for the exam, all candidates taking Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Macao must complete a Declaration Form upon arriving at the exam site on their mobile device. Completing the form will take no more than 1-2 minutes and should be filled out digitally via the link above.

Candidates who do not fill out the form will not be able to sit for the Exam and will be required to pay the exam fee when you re-register.

Last edited:

evelyn.peng

I doubt it - those halls have large capacity..........for CFA the halls accomodated around 200 + easily.........but you never know......issue is not capacity......is it safe enough to conduct these exams ? I dont know......Also i am not sure what is the point in moving it to Jan, nothing is going to change with holiday /flu season rolling in. Ideally it should be March but i am no expert in this area :(
I agree, capacity at Beanfield is not an issue. The rooms are huge. In ON, the gathering restriction for indoors is <10 people. The additional guidance on indoor event gathering is more detailed but still confusing.
https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/9636-COVID-19-Indoor-Outdoor-Events-Gatherings.pdf

Sjegathe

If the indoor gathering is 10, i think that applies to the building not the hall. if it applies to the hall, then we are talking about max 30 percent capacity only if it qualifies under ritual, or religious events.

This has always been a mystery as GARP does not release pass rates per country or region. I want to stop here before I write something that can be misconstrued.

Eustice_Langham

This has always been a mystery as GARP does not release pass rates per country or region. I want to stop here before I write something that can be misconstrued.
I asked this question previously, those sitting the exam this weekend will receive their results later next month. So the January exams will not form part of the standardisation, whether this means those sitting this weekend will be tougher or easier I dont know. But if I can guess I very much GARP will penalise students in any situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.