2020 Exam Update from GARP (updated on a regular basis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucaksbu

Switzerland just banned events of 50+ people. @all, in your respective countries, did an exam move usually follow an announcement like this? I'm really worried that GARP will wait until the last minute and try to find a loop-hole and we will just continue to study until the last minute (and then they will cancel it)

tami_92

Switzerland just banned events of 50+ people. @all, in your respective countries, did an exam move usually follow an announcement like this? I'm really worried that GARP will wait until the last minute and try to find a loop-hole and we will just continue to study until the last minute (and then they will cancel it)
Welcome to the club!

Ginob

The Netherlands banned events of 30+ people around 2-3 weeks ago, still the FRM exam in Amsterdam took place last Saturday. It appears that GARP can handle such restrictions. Although I think it also depends on how many candidates are registered to sit for the exam..

evelyn.peng

I wonder if remote-proctored exams could be used as an option? Didn't GMAT, LSAT and CAIA do this for those tests?

I checked GARP's announcement on CBT, which was issued in September. They explicitly said that CBT will be administered at secure exam sites and NOT remotely.

Personally, I've found GARP's reluctance/inability to adapt to the changing environment disappointing. It is not like we're trying to certify people to fly rockets, why does the examination have to be in person??

mattheweidinger

I checked GARP's announcement on CBT, which was issued in September. They explicitly said that CBT will be administered at secure exam sites and NOT remotely.

Personally, I've found GARP's reluctance/inability to adapt to the changing environment disappointing. It is not like we're trying to certify people to fly rockets, why does the examination have to be in person??

I mean for the January paper based exams. I've heard that if you live in a remote area, some exams/certifications can make an exception and have a person of your choosing swear an oath of honesty - in front of a notary or something - and administer the exam for only you.

Intbrok

The Netherlands banned events of 30+ people around 2-3 weeks ago, still the FRM exam in Amsterdam took place last Saturday. It appears that GARP can handle such restrictions. Although I think it also depends on how many candidates are registered to sit for the exam..

Sorry, but I find it ridiculous what is going on currently. Germany here. The government has just announced massive restrictions (of course related to free time activities...). Handling the situation just by splitting the group to more small groups in unacceptable for me. If I am following the rules to protect myself and don’t go anywhere, I think GARP should do the same and postpone the exam. I am generally not a friend of rescheduling but due to this uncertainty, I am struggling to stay focused with the preparation. We need clear communication and not last minute announcements and questionable „splitting the group“ solutions.

lucalaboranti

We need clear communication and not last minute announcements and questionable „splitting the group“ solutions.

Totally agree. I've just called the Radisson Blu in Frankfurt and they told me they expect to discuss the situation with GARP in the next couple of weeks. For now, they said, the exam seems to be going ahead as planned (which I find really odd considering the stringent measures announced yesterday by the government and set to take effect on Monday!).

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
UPDATE: OCT 29, 2020
PERU NOVEMBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Due to local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its November 2020 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Peru to January 16, 2021. All candidates registered for November’s Exams will automatically be registered for January’s Exams, which will be based on the same curriculum. Candidates do not have to take additional steps to register for January.

Intbrok

Totally agree. I've just called the Radisson Blu in Frankfurt and they told me they expect to discuss the situation with GARP in the next couple of weeks. For now, they said, the exam seems to be going ahead as planned (which I find really odd considering the stringent measures announced yesterday by the government and set to take effect on Monday!).
In the next couple of WEEKS?! Sure, we all love last minute announcements... (ironic) This is really crazy and disrespectful towards the candidates. You should generally stay home, meet max. 10 people from two households in your own home (!) etc. but participate easily in an exam with plenty of unknown candidates.
Thank you for your information about your call with Radisson Blu! I am also taking the exam in Frankfurt.

Ishak

Hello, could you please confirm us the FRM exam for Paris (FRANCE) planned for end of November ? Many thanks

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hello, could you please confirm us the FRM exam for Paris (FRANCE) planned for end of November ? Many thanks
Hello @Ishak

GARP does not provide us with any information besides the announcements that they are posting on their website. Currently, there is not an announcement on their website regarding France, so the exam will be administered unless they announce that it is postponed. They are announcing all postponements here on their website: https://www.garp.org/#!/important-notices/frm. I am also keeping this thread up to date (see the original post). When GARP makes any announcements, I will post them here.

For L2 candidates, this situation has now, and may continue to diminish the number of chances of clearing the program within 4 years. CFAI doesnt have such policy. I hope they give back the time lost, not just for those who have their final attempts this year.

Rblc

Hi Ishak, I've sent a mail to Garp 4 days ago concerning Paris and sent a chaser this morning. Fingers crossed they will answer...

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi Ishak, I've sent a mail to Garp 4 days ago concerning Paris and sent a chaser this morning. Fingers crossed they will answer...
@RajivBoolell

From what I've heard from GARP directly and from other candidates, when asked about specific exam sites, they are sending a generic response back (if they do respond to the email) because they have stated that all announcements will be posted on their website. GARP informed us that they are receiving an extremely high volume of emails right now. Many of those emails are for deferrals, so I assume that they are prioritizing those emails over any others that they receive asking about specific exam sites. Please let us know if they respond to your email with details, but I just wanted to let you know that they've already stated that they are only providing information about postponements on their website. I know this is a very difficult time for everyone not knowing if their exam will be postponed. :(

thd

I wrote to GARP member services with specific questions. After three chasers got a generic reply totally ignoring the questions but providing a link to the announcements page. Great. I know these are difficult times, but even so, the response from GARP seems lacking.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
I wrote to GARP member services with specific questions. After three chasers got a generic reply totally ignoring the questions but providing a link to the announcements page. Great. I know these are difficult times, but even so, the response from GARP seems lacking.
Hello @thd
Yes, this is why I posted above. There are 21 pages in this discussion, and much of it is discussion about GARP's communication and announcements from those who were supposed to take the October exam. I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that GARP is not responding to questions regarding specific exam locations being postponed. I know it is so frustrating for everyone. If any of your questions for GARP were regarding a deferral, I would recommend calling them instead of using email. Further back in this thread, there were members who said it was easier to get in touch with GARP regarding deferrals when they called.

thd

Hello @thd
Yes, this is why I posted above. There are 21 pages in this discussion, and much of it is discussion about GARP's communication and announcements from those who were supposed to take the October exam. I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that GARP is not responding to questions regarding specific exam locations being postponed. I know it is so frustrating for everyone. If any of your questions for GARP were regarding a deferral, I would recommend calling them instead of using email. Further back in this thread, there were members who said it was easier to get in touch with GARP regarding deferrals when they called.

Thank you for your reply. I will try to call them. I find it odd that COVID has been well-behaved, with a long-predicted wave two now taking place, however, it seems to have taken GARP by surprise. Some exams now postponed to January when the situation will likely be the same or worse. And, depending on one's current health, too dangerous to turn up to an exam site regardless of GARP or local government policies anyway. Other exam providers seem to be offering home-proctored exams and flexible exam windows. This looks like the way to go.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
UPDATE: OCT 30, 2020
KUWAIT NOVEMBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Due to local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its November 2020 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Kuwait to January 16, 2021. All candidates registered for November’s Exams will automatically be registered for January’s Exams, which will be based on the same curriculum. Candidates do not have to take additional steps to register for January.

Eustice_Langham

Thank you for your reply. I will try to call them. I find it odd that COVID has been well-behaved, with a long-predicted wave two now taking place, however, it seems to have taken GARP by surprise. Some exams now postponed to January when the situation will likely be the same or worse. And, depending on one's current health, too dangerous to turn up to an exam site regardless of GARP or local government policies anyway. Other exam providers seem to be offering home-proctored exams and flexible exam windows. This looks like the way to go.
In the northern hempisphere with the onset of winter, this will get worse so the exams slated for January have to be in doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.