Important Please Read: Publishing Process for 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @Karim_B That's because the prior version of Gregory's text contained this topic in Chapter 7, but the current version points to Chapter 12; i.e., the topic moved chapters between versions. @Nicole Seaman will confirm on Monday when she returns ... FYI, I can see in our internal project manager that I am soon going to be re-recording these Gregory chapters, hopefully can wait just a little while. We have improved slides and exhibits coming for the Gregory topics (actually, informed by Gregory's 3rd edition, now that we can see GARP will be retaining this in 2018). Sorry if that's confusing (there are actually three editions of Greogry) but the bottom line is (i) the chapter 7/12 isn't actually a "problem" because the topics just moved chapters but (ii) we also have new videos coming soon on this. Thank you!

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Hi @Karim_B That's because the prior version of Gregory's text contained this topic in Chapter 7, but the current version points to Chapter 12; i.e., the topic moved chapters between versions. @Nicole Seaman will confirm on Monday when she returns ... FYI, I can see in our internal project manager that I am soon going to be re-recording these Gregory chapters, hopefully can wait just a little while. We have improved slides and exhibits coming for the Gregory topics (actually, informed by Gregory's 3rd edition, now that we can see GARP will be retaining this in 2018). Sorry if that's confusing (there are actually three editions of Greogry) but the bottom line is (i) the chapter 7/12 isn't actually a "problem" because the topics just moved chapters but (ii) we also have new videos coming soon on this. Thank you!
I apologize for not responding to this sooner. David is correct that the reason for the difference in chapter numbers is because of the version change in the Gregory text. The new videos that we will be publishing soon will reflect any updated concepts that have been added to the curriculum since the current videos, and there will be no confusion due to chapter numbers.

Not sure if this is the right place but it looks like the learning objectives have updated a lot since you made the video for Chapter 6 Macdonald on Commodity Forwards and Futures, it feels quite out of date when compared to the current learning objectives. I don't think Gemin is part of the learning objectives any more and there are objectives on Weather derivatives and cross hedging that aren't really mentioned. Your videos are very helpful, can you upload an update before the exam this November?

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Not sure if this is the right place but it looks like the learning objectives have updated a lot since you made the video for Chapter 6 Macdonald on Commodity Forwards and Futures, it feels quite out of date when compared to the current learning objectives. I don't think Gemin is part of the learning objectives any more and there are objectives on Weather derivatives and cross hedging that aren't really mentioned. Your videos are very helpful, can you upload an update before the exam this November?
@sharman.jamie we agree it needs to be updated (we just updated all of the adjacent Hull videos). @Nicole Seaman can respond to any timing promises, thanks!

@sharman.jamie

Please note that I moved this to our publishing process thread since it is not really an error in the study notes. ;) This set of notes is not currently on our list to update before the November exam, as there were other notes and videos that took priority (we keep a VERY detailed and organized list of materials that need to be updated in our project manager). We try not to promise that we will publish any specific materials before a certain date because it can be difficult to keep those promises when we have so much to update each year. We try to prioritize the best that we can with each reading. With that being said, we will try our very hardest to update this set of notes and the instructional video before the November exam.

Thank you,

Nicole

@Nicole Seaman , I can see in the FRM part 2 operational and integrated risk management some coming soon items (question sets for SMA, Dowd and De Laurentis). Does it means that it will really come soon or that you're still working on it?
Thanks.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@Nicole Seaman , I can see in the FRM part 2 operational and integrated risk management some coming soon items (question sets for SMA, Dowd and De Laurentis). Does it means that it will really come soon or that you're still working on it?
Thanks.
Hello @Eltanariel

The "coming soon" label in the study planner means that we will be preparing and publishing that set of materials as soon as we can. It does not mean that they are already prepared. As soon as we have a set of materials drafted, reviewed and finished, I make sure that it is published in the study planner the same day or at the latest, the next day.

The practice question sets are published after we have posted a complete set of questions in the forum for a specific reading. David writes 12 new questions per week (6 for Part 1 and 6 for Part 2). So the practice question sets that we will be publishing next are the Operational & Integrated Risk interactive quiz/pdf and we will be updating the current Hull, Options question set, in the Financial Markets topic, with all of the newest practice questions that we have been posting in the forum. Our content writer, Deepa, is currently working very hard on study notes. David and I are working on the PPTs and recording new videos. As I'm sure you understand, it takes a great deal of time to prepare new, QUALITY materials to publish in the study planner due to all of the changes that are made to the GARP curriculum each year. :)

Nicole

Karim_B

Subscriber
@sharman.jamie we agree it needs to be updated (we just updated all of the adjacent Hull videos). @Nicole Seaman can respond to any timing promises, thanks!

Hi @Nicole Seaman @David Harper CFA FRM
I read David's note about the updated Hull videos, but when I checked https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/2017-part-2-new-and-updated-published-materials.10050/ it looks like the page was last edited on 29 Aug and I don't see the new videos listed.

Am I looking in the wrong place? I just want to make sure I'm using the forum correctly.

Thanks!
Karim

P.S. Thanks for your replies to my earlier question about Gregory chapter 7/12.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi @Nicole Seaman @David Harper CFA FRM
I read David's note about the updated Hull videos, but when I checked https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/2017-part-2-new-and-updated-published-materials.10050/ it looks like the page was last edited on 29 Aug and I don't see the new videos listed.

Am I looking in the wrong place? I just want to make sure I'm using the forum correctly.

Thanks!
Karim

P.S. Thanks for your replies to my earlier question about Gregory chapter 7/12.
Hello @Karim_B

All of the updated Hull videos are located in this forum thread for Part 1 (the thread you listed above is for Part 2): https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/2017-part-1-new-and-updated-published-materials.10049/. They are all listed under Hull, Topic 3. We will continue to update instructional videos for both Parts 1 and 2 throughout the exam period.

Thank you,

Nicole

dbansal

Hello,

Is is true that you only have 1 mock exam either interactive or non interactive for part 2? The only mock exam i see for part 2 is here: https://www.bionicturtle.com/courses/part-ii-review/. Although there are "4" exams each exam only has 20 questions. Please let me know if I am going to the wrong place. I would like to complete as many mock exams as possible. The interactive questions sets at the end of each topic is helpful but, more full set mock exams would be much better.

Appreciate your help.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hello,

Is is true that you only have 1 mock exam either interactive or non interactive for part 2? The only mock exam i see for part 2 is here: https://www.bionicturtle.com/courses/part-ii-review/. Although there are "4" exams each exam only has 20 questions. Please let me know if I am going to the wrong place. I would like to complete as many mock exams as possible. The interactive questions sets at the end of each topic is helpful but, more full set mock exams would be much better.

Appreciate your help.
Hello @dbansal,

Yes, those are the only mock exams that are published at this time. We will be preparing more mock exams that will be published before the November exam so there are more coming. Thank you for your patience, as we prepare them :)

Nicole

Hello @David Harper CFA FRM , I have a question about the Hull study notes P2.T7.Hull_515_524. Indeed in the description it is said that it covers chapters 15 through 17, but in the document only chapter 15 and 16 are covered.
On a side note in the question set, there are some question around chapter 17 and the FRTB.

Is this because you're still working on chapter 17, or the pdf uploaded is not the last version?

Thanks and best regards.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hello @David Harper CFA FRM , I have a question about the Hull study notes P2.T7.Hull_515_524. Indeed in the description it is said that it covers chapters 15 through 17, but in the document only chapter 15 and 16 are covered.
On a side note in the question set, there are some question around chapter 17 and the FRTB.

Is this because you're still working on chapter 17, or the pdf uploaded is not the last version?

Thanks and best regards.
Hello @Eltanariel

I've moved this to our publishing process thread, as it is not an actual error in the notes. We have not published the updated set of study notes for this reading yet (we are still publishing new and updated materials). This updated set of notes is currently being reviewed, so it will be published shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Nicole

No problem with that @Nicole Seaman , I was just surprised not to see the chapter 17 in the pdf when the resume in the study planner says it is there:
"Hull chapters 15, 16 & 17 contains 36 pages covering the concepts of Basel I and II and Solvency II, Basel 2.5, Basel III and Dodd-Frank . After reviewing the notes you will be able to apply what you learned with practice questions and answers."

But indeed it is not said that there is a study note for FRTB.

Thanks and regards,

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
No problem with that @Nicole Seaman , I was just surprised not to see the chapter 17 in the pdf when the resume in the study planner says it is there:
"Hull chapters 15, 16 & 17 contains 36 pages covering the concepts of Basel I and II and Solvency II, Basel 2.5, Basel III and Dodd-Frank . After reviewing the notes you will be able to apply what you learned with practice questions and answers."

But indeed it is not said that there is a study note for FRTB.

Thanks and regards,
@Eltanariel

I have to update each of the labels in the study planner manually, and there may be times that I've listed a chapter that is not yet published in the title. If you ever question if a set of materials has been updated to reflect changes in the 2017 curriculum, please refer to this list that we keep to show that the material has been updated with the date: https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/2017-part-2-new-and-updated-published-materials.10050/. Once we publish the updated Hull document, you will see it in this list with the publish date. There will also be a "New" symbol next to it in the study planner.

Thank you,

Nicole

Hi @David Harper CFA FRM and @Nicole Seaman,

I hope you're doing well. I was wondering, I was reviewing the note on the subject of this post and noticed the material for Hull chapter 17, "Fundamental Review of the Trading Book" is not contained in the study notes.

Is this expected or am I missing something? I noticed the Question Set does include the chapter and they seem to still be current in the curriculum.

Thanks,
-Roberto

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi @David Harper CFA FRM and @Nicole Seaman,

I hope you're doing well. I was wondering, I was reviewing the note on the subject of this post and noticed the material for Hull chapter 17, "Fundamental Review of the Trading Book" is not contained in the study notes.

Is this expected or am I missing something? I noticed the Question Set does include the chapter and they seem to still be current in the curriculum.

Thanks,
-Roberto
Hello @Roberto Hernández

Please note that I moved your thread here, where this has been discussed already :) We have not published the updated study notes yet, but they are currently being reviewed so they will be published shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Nicole

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hey Nicole....many of the question set for various topics in ops risk are missing...can we expect it to be released before the exam
Hello @meenalbaheti

Please note that I've moved your post to this thread which discusses our publishing process. David is currently writing practice questions for Miller in Part 1, Topic 2 and for Dowd in Part 2, Topic 5. David writes practice questions according to perceived priority, so we will get as many practice questions published as possible before the exam. Our focus has always been to provide high quality materials, instead of focusing on the quantity of materials that are published. David also provided extensive, in-depth support in our forum, which takes a great deal of time. At this time, we are posting 6 new practice questions in the forum weekly (3 for part 1 and 3 for part 2), and we will continue to do this until the exam.

Thank you,

Nicole

Status
Not open for further replies.