Exam Feedback November 2018 Part 2 Exam Feedback

QuantFFM

Thank you David and Nicole for your support. You're doing a great job.
I will stay with bionicturtle in the future although I have passed part 2.

sparksr2

Passed as well. Thanks to all on this forum for the support. A very tiring year with passing CA and CFA level 2. On to level 3 and then enjoying life for a while

gprisby

Just passed level 1, and working on level 2 now. I enjoyed reading some of the feedback earlier in the thread. Looks like it was much more qualitative than expected (I felt the same way for part 1). I wanted to see if anyone had any last tips based on your experience with part 2 prep. Anything you wished you did differently for prep, or anything that worked well and would share. Thanks and congrats to those that passed level 2!

Flashback

I used top down approach by dedicating a more time to building a so called big picture what is important but wish I dedicated much more time to understand the concepts from bottom-up. However, I passed studying in that manner as well.

gprisby

I used top down approach by dedicating a more time to building a so called big picture what is important but wish I dedicated much more time to understand the concepts from bottom-up. However, I passed studying in that manner as well.
Good to know. I feel like I work bottom up, almost to a fault. I like to understand concepts before moving on, but sometimes I should probably move on and revisit. I think that’s how I will approach level 2.

jason mora

I have one question.
I passed Part 2 this time and when I entered my programs in GARP I saw that there are two buttons at work experience.
Actually, I don't have 2 years risk experience yet.
Then, Do I click that button ?? or Do I leave it until I expereince 2 years in risk management?

Seamus

Just a memo for the future candidates.
My reminder was never changed until I got the official results and I was even able to register the Part 2 exam again. (I am a candidate from Japan and it was my first attempt for Part 2)
This made me so nervous while I was waiting for the results. After the exam, I thought the exam was sufficiently easy and was confident to pass. My mental was brokendown and it ruined all the new year holidays. As there were no good indicators...

Sorry that I don't have the screen shots. I didn't take it as I thought failed the exam.

However, when I received the official results, I found that I passed the exam with good scores (2/1/1/1/1).

For the future candidates, I recommend them to wait the official result. I think the indicator is nothing about the official results as GARP mentioned.

Last edited:

kevolution

Just a memo for the future candidates.
My reminder was never changed until I got the official results and I was even able to register the Part 2 exam again. (I am a candidate from Japan and it was my first attempt for Part 2)
This made me so nervous while I was waiting for the results. After the exam, I thought the exam was sufficiently easy and was confident to pass. My mental was brokendown and it ruined all the new year holidays. As there were no good indicators...

Sorry that I don't have the screen shots. I didn't take it as I thought failed the exam.

However, when I received the official results, I found that I passed the exam with good scores (2/1/1/1/1).

For the future candidates, I recommend them to wait the official exam. I think the indicator is nothing about the official results as GARP mentioned.

That's very weird as a I had the opposite experience. What was your timeline when you checked? It seemed to have only updated 5-6 hours before midnight 1/3 EST. Failed in the past and was able to re-register for Part 2 as well as no status update, while this time I passed and wasn't able to register and also saw status update.

Yairw

I have one question.
I passed Part 2 this time and when I entered my programs in GARP I saw that there are two buttons at work experience.
Actually, I don't have 2 years risk experience yet.
Then, Do I click that button ?? or Do I leave it until I expereince 2 years in risk management?
If you click that button you will receive an e-mail which tells you what to do if you don't have 2 years experience. That's all. I clicked it even though I have the experience just to check... and then submitted my experience.

Yairw

About the same for me.

MFT

Good to know. I feel like I work bottom up, almost to a fault. I like to understand concepts before moving on, but sometimes I should probably move on and revisit. I think that’s how I will approach level 2.

In my opinion GARP sometimes writes their questions in a way that only a deep understanding of the concepts will get you to the correct answer (i.e the part II question concerning QQ plot with the fat tails), sometimes they will give you REALLY similar answers and only a tiny change in the answer will make the difference, sadly the only way to choose the correct answer from the incorrect one in this case is with a bottom up approach I think (which is way more time consuming)

CSchmidiger

In my opinion GARP sometimes writes their questions in a way that only a deep understanding of the concepts will get you to the correct answer (i.e the part II question concerning QQ plot with the fat tails), sometimes they will give you REALLY similar answers and only a tiny change in the answer will make the difference, sadly the only way to choose the correct answer from the incorrect one in this case is with a bottom up approach I think (which is way more time consuming)

Completely agree. Also, It‘s not all about the title. If they hire/ promote you because of the FRM credentials, they expect you to understand some of those specific topics. So if you have to put in all that time and effort why not just take some knowledge with you along the way. Bottom up seems more reasonable and worked perfecctly fine for me. Of similar importance: do as many questions as possible, whatever it is Schweser, GARP, BionicTurtle, AnalystPrep... the more the better. Bottom up took me 3-4 months beside my job and it was not a nice time - totally worth it though.

vrmua

Completely agree. Also, It‘s not all about the title. If they hire/ promote you because of the FRM credentials, they expect you to understand some of those specific topics. So if you have to put in all that time and effort why not just take some knowledge with you along the way. Bottom up seems more reasonable and worked perfecctly fine for me. Of similar importance: do as many questions as possible, whatever it is Schweser, GARP, BionicTurtle, AnalystPrep... the more the better. Bottom up took me 3-4 months beside my job and it was not a nice time - totally worth it though.

Well said!